- The AMB 001 by Aston Martin and Brough Superior: Aston Martin design meets Brough Superior engineering; two iconic and historic British performance brands unite
- The track-only, strictly limited edition motorcycle, is the first product from new partnership
MILAN, ITALY – November 6, 2019 – (Motor Sports NewsWire) – The AMB 001 by Aston Martin and Brough Superior made its worldwide debut at EICMA, the Milan Motorcycle Shows, today. The reveal heralds the first chapter of an exciting new partnership between Aston Martin and Brough Superior.
Strictly limited to just 100 examples, the track-only AMB 001 represents the union of iconic Aston Martin design and state-of-the-art Brough Superior engineering to create a piece of automotive art for the motorbike connoisseur.
Aston Martin Executive Vice President and Chief Creative Officer, Marek Reichman said: “This is what we believe a cutting-edge motorcycle should be and we are very proud to see the Aston Martin wings on a motorcycle for the first time. In addition to applying the skills we have developed for cars such as the ground breaking Aston Martin Valkyrie we have also been able to bring our special expertise in the traditional craft techniques to this project. The finished product is a truly beautiful motorcycle; a design and engineering work of art.”
With the AMB 001, Aston Martin and Brough Superior are presenting a unique, modern, lightweight and powerful sports bike concept, boasting exclusive technical features, including a chassis configuration with a double wishbone front fork and structural carbon fibre body.
Taking their inspiration from the new series of mid-engined Aston Martin cars, the Aston Martin Design team worked on clear principles of form and function, where design and engineering had to work together, resulting in a motorcycle that is a high performance work of art.
Presented in the traditional Aston Martin Racing colours of Stirling Green and Lime Essence with Matte Black wheels, forks and brake assemblies, the AMB 001 features a sublime combination of paint and bare carbon fibre that accentuates the lines of this collectors’ item. As befits the Aston Martin and Brough Superior brands, all of the components have been specially designed using the best processes and materials, including carbon fibre, titanium and billet aluminium.
The bike boasts a strong, sculptural body form, beautifully accented by a carbon fibre fin – the design of which is derived from the side strake on Aston Martin cars – that runs along the full length of the Stirling Green tank, passing under the saddle and out onto the rear, creating a flowing form along the top of the bike. As the fin passes under the saddle it can be seen through breaks in the Oxford Tan leather pads of the hand-stitched saddle, which combines old techniques and modern technology in one swooping area that is a perfect fit for the human form.
AMB 001 has been designed to display a level of elegance that isn’t normally found on racing bikes. Beauty and power is the order of the day for this track-only racer. Aerodynamic wings attached to the cowl on the front of the bike take their direction from the S-Curve on the front of an Aston Martin, providing Aerodynamic downforce.
The AMB 001 boasts a turbo-charged output of 134 kW (180 hp) at just 180 kilos dry weight. This turbo configuration brings an incredible engine response with huge torque in a wide range of engine rpm. This is also the first time that a Brough Superior model is presented with a V-twin turbo-charged engine.
In keeping with its track-inspired pedigree, the AMB 001 is presented with ultra-lightweight Aston Martin wings, which sit under the lacquer of the bodywork on the nose and the tank. These are the same nine-micron stainless steel wings that adorn the Aston Martin Valkyrie.
“Aston Martin may be 106 years-old but the forward momentum of this company is inspiring, for every area of the business but for Design in particular,” continued Reichman. “The same people who work on the design of our cars have worked on the AMB 001. These people are absolute experts and have delivered many of the special project cars that we have designed. Unlike at other car companies, our designers have the full breadth of experience and I think this is showcased in this aspirational bike.”
The AMB 001 is being built and hand-assembled in the Brough Superior factory in Toulouse, France. Just 100 examples will be made, with an MRSP of 108,000.00 EUR including 20% VAT. First deliveries are set to begin from Q4 2020. For further information please visit: https://www.astonmartin.com/en-gb/our-world/partnerships/brough-superior.
Attachment 1 – AMB 001 Specification
- DOHC 997cc 8-Valve 88-dergree V-twin, Water and Oil cooled, short stroke measuring 94mm x 71.8mm
- It features a semi-dry crankcase lubrication improving efficiency by reducing the mechanical losses.
- Transmission includes an extractible 6 speed gearbox an APTC Clutch, and final drive by chain.
- Timing is driven by a short Morse chain and a gear train, a compact conception for precision and reliability.
- The engine covers are machined from plain by aeronautical suppliers.
- Turbo supercharging is an exclusive feature on a serial production motorcycle.
- The variable geometry Turbo is blowing through an intercooler for more efficiency, its modern turbine with low inertia is avoiding the turbo lag that was damageable on the Turbo motorcycles attempts from the 80’s.
- The powerful engine behavior is plain, with quick response and high torque in a wide range of RPM for riding enjoyment.
- The exhaust manifold is made from Inconel, a superalloy chosen for its thermal and mechanical properties
- The innovative chassis aggregates the best techniques such as a CNC machined from solid backbone bolted on the V-twin engine which is a fully load-bearing chassis component, combining stiffness with lightness. Then structural carbon fiber rear sub frame and Titanium interfaces are completing this high-tech chassis.
- Wheels are machined form aluminum forgings with their exclusive AMB 001 design
- Specific brake system developed by a racing brake specialist, all the component machined from solid, ball bearing action on the radial master cylinder piston, less effort for strong braking power with a prefect feeling.
- The double wishbone Fior fork machined form billet aluminum dissociates steering and braking functions, resulting in a precise steering and stability that gives a securing feeling. The motorcycle is not diving when braking and remains really stable while cornering with brakes.
- The rear swing arm CNC machined as well includes a progressive damping system with rocker.
- The body parts are fully made from carbon fiber, even when non-visible on the painted parts. Some of the body parts are structural and are allowing weight reduction.
- The leather seat is handcrafted equally as luxury car interior, with high quality leather and stitching, matching with the handcrafted handlebars grips.
Derived from the AMR supercars, the Aston Martin Wings logos are made from a thin laser cut metal sheet and included in the lacquer layers for a perfect finish.
About Aston Martin Lagonda:
Aston Martin Lagonda is a luxury automotive group focused on the creation of exclusive cars and SUVs. The iconic Aston Martin brand fuses the latest technology, exceptional hand craftsmanship and timeless design to produce models including the Vantage, DB11, Rapide AMR and DBS Superleggera. The Lagonda brand will relaunch in 2021 as the world’s first luxury electric vehicle company. Based in Gaydon, England, Aston Martin Lagonda designs, creates and exports cars which are sold in 53 countries around the world.
Lagonda was founded in 1899 and Aston Martin in 1913. The two brands came together in 1947 when both were purchased by the late Sir David Brown. Under the leadership of Dr Andy Palmer and a new management team, the Group launched its Second Century Plan in 2015 to deliver sustainable long-term growth. The plan is underpinned by the introduction of seven new models including the DB11, new Vantage, DBS Superleggera and an SUV, as well as the development of a new manufacturing centre in St Athan, Wales.
About Brough Superior:
Brough Superior Motorcycles was established in Nottingham, England, in 1919, by George Brough, Brough Superior was the fastest, best-looking, most expensive brand to beridden by thrill-seeking record-breakers and gentleman riders from the roaring twenties. Brough Superior’s most famous fan was T.E Lawrence “of Arabia” who owned seven of the brand.
Relaunched in 2013 by Thierry Henriette, a highly-respected motorcycle designer who has worked for major manufacturers throughout the world. He started by relaunching the most famous of George Brough’s motorcycles, the one favoured by Lawrence of Arabia, the SS100.
The new era Brough Superior bikes have kept the DNA of the classics such as the art deco design and improved it beyond the modern standards with exclusive technologies and the finest materials. Today Brough Superior produces a range of three luxury modern classic motorcycles, recognised for their superior quality, high performance and precise handling that provide a joy riding experience.
These distinctive motorcycles are handcrafted in limited numbers in a fully integrated process including the specific engine built in Toulouse, France, capital of the Aerospace industry, and shipped worldwide.
Source: Aston Martin Lagonda