- RM Auctions to offer a wonderfully original 1962 Mercedes-Benz 300 SL Roadster from four decades in single ownership at 16th annual Fort Lauderdale sale
- Roadster leads a group of four automobiles offered out of long-term ownership from a private Michigan collector
- Set for 6-7 April at the Broward County Convention Center, Fort Lauderdale auction to feature a diverse lineup of 350 quality collector cars and a selection of automotive memorabilia
- Event information and updated list of entries available at www.rmsothebys.com
BLENHEIM, ONTARIO, CANADA – March 1, 2018 – (Motor Sports Newswire) – The RM Sotheby’s Group is delighted to announce the latest featured automobiles for its upcoming RM Auctions Fort Lauderdale sale, 6-7 April at the Greater Fort Lauderdale/Broward County Convention Center. Highlighting the two-day auction is a group of four European sports cars offered fresh-to-the-market out of long-term ownership by a private Michigan collector.
Leading the group is a much-loved 1962 Mercedes-Benz 300 SL Roadster, chassis no. 198.042.10.003069, owned by its current proprietor for an incredible four decades. Originally delivered to one Sophus Kruse, a prominent Hamburg realtor, the 300 SL was finished in the unusual and striking livery of Mercedes Blue over Light Yellow leather with a cream top. As a European-specification car, it was also fitted with the desirable one-piece “Euro” headlamps, as well as late-production disc brakes—two of the most sought-after features on the model.
The current owner acquired the car in the late 1970s via an advertisement in Hemmings Motor News, at which time it was finished in a metallic white. He has since restored the 300 SL’s bodywork to its original factory color, while preserving the original interior, with its patinaed upholstery remaining intact today. The car comes to Fort Lauderdale equipped with its original engine, as well as owners and service manuals, service records, instructions for the Becker Grand Prix radio, and a largely complete original tool kit. Never fully restored and always maintained and enjoyed, this is a striking example offered from a wonderful long-term home (Est. $900,000 – $1,200,000). The 300 SL Roadster will also be available for advanced viewing on the lawn at the Amelia Island Concours d’Elegance, 11 March, alongside additional Fort Lauderdale highlights.
“We continuously strive to bring fresh-to-market, sought-after collector cars to auction,” says Matt Malamut, Car Specialist, RM Sotheby’s. “We’re proud to have been entrusted by a true, lifelong enthusiast to offer his long-enjoyed collection in Fort Lauderdale. The owner had great foresight in purchasing what would become highly collectible models when they were ‘just cars’, and these are now examples offered out of one of the most significant terms of ownership we’ve seen in years.”
Additional highlights from the collection include:
- A 1970 Mercedes-Benz 280 SL, a part of the collection since 1989 and chosen by the collector for its desirable manual transmission. Also equipped with air conditioning and both hard and soft tops, this is a fantastic driver’s car (Est. $60,000 – $80,000, offered without reserve);
- A 1977 Porsche 911 Turbo Carrera 3.0, offered by its first and only enthusiast owner. This early 930 was purchased new by the current owner from Howard Cooper Volkswagen-Porsche-Audi in Ann Arbor, Michigan, and today shows just over 35,000 miles, wearing its original Metallic Silver paint and Lobster Red interior, and having been continuously maintained by expert Porsche mechanics (Est. $100,000 – $130,000, offered without reserve); and,
- Rounding out the collection is a 1987 Ferrari Testarossa which has resided with the current owner since it was just one month from new. The Testarossa comes to Fort Lauderdale with just under 34,400 actual miles and complete with its factory set of five-piece luggage, owner’s manual, service booklet and directory, nearly complete original tool set, wheel tool, jack, and tow bar (Est. $90,000 – $120,000, offered without reserve).
Celebrated as South Florida’s premier collector car auction, the 16th annual Fort Lauderdale sale will feature approximately 350 quality collector cars and a selection of memorabilia across two days. Ranging from American classics to European sports cars, muscle, hot rods, customs and modern collectibles, the sale caters to all levels of the market, from entry-level enthusiasts through seasoned collectors. For additional information on RM Auctions 2018 Fort Lauderdale event, including an updated list of entries for the sale, please visit www.rmsothebys.com or call +1 519 352 4575 to speak with an RM car specialist. The digital preview catalogue will be available at www.rmsothebys.com next week.
About RM Sotheby’s
RM Sotheby’s is the world’s largest auction house for investment-quality automobiles. With more than 35 years’ experience in the collector car industry, RM’s vertically integrated range of services, from private treaty sales and auctions (including both RM Sotheby’s and RM Auctions events) to estate planning and financial services, coupled with an expert team of car specialists and an international footprint, provide an unsurpassed level of service to the global collector car market. In February 2015, RM formed a strategic partnership with Sotheby’s, uniting the two companies for the full calendar of future automobile auctions. For further information, visit www.rmsothebys.com.
Source: RM Sotheby’s