What was still considered science fiction a few years ago is now becoming reality with the BMW Motorrad ConnectedRide Smartglasses. The innovative motorcycle goggles provide the head-up display technology already familiar from the automotive sector and project all relevant data, such as navigation, speed, or gear, directly into the rider’s field of vision in real time, thus enabling particularly anticipatory and thus safer motorcycle riding.
The BMW Motorrad ConnectedRide Smartglasses can be easily connected to your smartphone via Bluetooth and app. The projection can be positioned, and the settings can be selected before the ride or during, via the multicontroller on the motorcycle handlebars.
In addition to the individual user interface and an increase in riding safety, the smart glasses also offer a high level of comfort. The design of the smart glasses and the display has been adapted to meet the special needs of motorcyclists. The BMW Motorrad ConnectedRide Smartglasses can be adapted to fit numerous helmets and face shapes. This makes the smart glasses comfortable to wear even on long day trips. The lithium-ion battery enables up to ten hours of operation.
BMW Motorrad supplies two sets of certified UVA/UVB lenses with the frame. One set of lenses is 85% transparent and can be used for helmets with integrated sun visors. The other set has tinted lenses turning the smart glasses into a pair of sunglasses.
For riders who wear prescription glasses, the lenses can be ground and adjusted to the required visual acuity (up to max. 4 diopters) by an optician using an RX adapter. For those who wear contact lenses, the Smartglasses can be used normally. The set also includes a case and a USB charging cable.
BMW Motorrad ConnectedRide Smartglasses highlights:
- Two sizes (M + L) available with different nose pads. Medium for pupil distance 2.1 to 2.6-inches, Large for 2.3 to 2.9-inches.
- Two sets of lenses (1 x tinted and 1 x 85% transparent) integrated light sensor, certified UVA/UVB filter.
- RX adapter for adjusting the lenses to the required visual acuity (up to max. 4 diopters) by an optician.
- Can be connected to a smartphone and the BMW Motorrad Connected App via Bluetooth.
- Real-time GPS data transfer from app to Smartglasses.
- Head-Up function for navigation with individual display.
- Display of speed, speed limit, gear, and navigation (reduced arrow display or detailed navigation with street names, intersections, and precise directions).
- Integrated light sensor and integrated optics module for securely transferring data and securely displaying data on the top left of the right glass.
- Lithium-ion battery provides up to ten hours of operation.
- USB charging cable.
- Operating temperature range -14° to 122° F.
- Anthracite frame.
The BMW ConnectedRide Smartglasses are expected to arrive in the U.S. later in 2023 and to be available in most states. Pricing and more detailed US information will be available closer to on sale date.
BMW Group in America
BMW of North America, LLC has been present in the United States since 1975. Rolls-Royce Motor Cars NA, LLC began distributing vehicles in 2003. The BMW Group in the United States has grown to include marketing, sales, and financial service organizations for the BMW brand of motor vehicles, including motorcycles, the MINI brand, and Rolls-Royce Motor Cars; Designworks, a strategic design consultancy based in California; a technology office in Silicon Valley and various other operations throughout the country. BMW Manufacturing Co., LLC in South Carolina is the BMW Group global center of competence for BMW X models and manufactures the X3, X4, X5, X6 and X7 Sports Activity Vehicles as well as the BMW XM. The BMW Group sales organization is represented in the U.S. through networks of 350 BMW passenger car and BMW Sports Activity Vehicle centers,146 BMW motorcycle retailers, 104 MINI passenger car dealers, and 38 Rolls-Royce Motor Car dealers. BMW (US) Holding Corp., the BMW Group’s sales headquarters for North America, is located in Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey.
Source: BMW Group in America