ONLINE ONLY AUCTION TO FEATURE OVER 200 MOTOR CARS
HEADLINED BY TRIO OF “RED HOT” FERRARI SUPERCARS
ONE-OF-A-KIND FERRARI 250 GT COUPE LEADS LATEST HIGHLIGHTS
BIDDING OPENS 21 MAY ON RMSOTHEBYS.COM
- RM Sotheby’s announces latest entries for Online Only: Driving into Summer, led by 1958 Ferrari 250 GT Coupe
- Sale curated specifically for the online platform to feature more than 200 motor cars and a selection of memorabilia, headlined by trio of Ferrari supercars—1985 Ferrari 288 GTO, 1995 Ferrari F50 and 2003 Ferrari Enzo
- New footage released of Ferrari 288 GTO at speed with Car Specialist Donnie Gould behind the wheel
- Lots open for bidding on 21 May at 1:00 pm EDT, closing across two days beginning at 11:00 am EDT on 28–29 May
- Additional information, an updated list of lots, and bidder registration available on
BLENHEIM, ONTARIO, CANADA – May 20, 2020 – (Motor Sports NewsWire) – RM Sotheby’s is pleased to announce the latest highlights for its upcoming Online Only: Driving into Summer auction, the company’s first car auction specifically curated by its team of specialists for the Online Only platform. The time-based online auction will open for bidding on rmsothebys.com at 1:00 pm ET on Thursday, 21 May with staggered lot closure beginning at 11:00 am ET on 28 and 29 May.
The sale will offer over 200 diverse collector cars and a selection of memorabilia, with entries led by a trio of previously-announced Ferrari supercars; a superb 2003 Ferrari Enzo, offered from just two California collector owners from new and showing less than 1,250 miles; a Classiche-certified 1995 Ferrari F50, the second example of just 349 built; and a rare, race-bred 1985 Ferrari 288 GTO featured in newly released footage, where it was taken for a spirited drive with RM Sotheby’s Car Specialist Donnie Gould behind the wheel.
Leading the latest group of highlights is a quintessential 1958 Ferrari 250 GT Coupe by Pinin Farina, chassis no. 1007GT, uniquely hand built at the Ferrari factory with a number of custom features including special exhaust guards, custom Ferrari emblem and lettering on the front hood, as well as a unique instrument and dashboard configuration that was technically sophisticated for the period and delightfully intriguing. The special car was also fitted with both a hood and deck lid molded from fiber glass composites, making it one of Ferrari’s first experimental developments utilizing this highly specialized material.
Sold new to one of the owners of Wax & Vitale SpA in Genoa, the official Johnnie Walker whisky importer for Italy, the car changed hands after a brief period and was imported to the United States by Italian racecar driver Luigi Chinetti, who reportedly showed the car at the 1960 Chicago Auto Show. In 1965, 1007GT was also shown at the very first Ferrari Club of America Annual Meet, held on the campus of the University of Notre Dame.
Meticulously maintained throughout its life and shown often, the truly one-of-a-kind 250 GT comes to the Online Only auction retaining its original numbers-matching engine and presented in excellent condition in its original colors of Grigio Conchiglia over Blu Connolly leather. It is ready for the show circuit, vintage touring, or simply to be enjoyed for the unique piece of automotive history and exquisite design it represents today (Est. $575,000 – $675,000).
“The first specifically curated online auction of its kind, the Online Only: Driving into Summer sale has shaped up to be quite the stellar offering,” said Alexander Weaver, Car Specialist, RM Sotheby’s. “This assembly of cars has something for every type of aficionado, from the unique 250 GT Coupe to exciting racing and rally cars like the GT3 RS and 308 ‘Safari’ and an highly impressive group of modern classics and supercars that range in price point, appealing to entry-level enthusiasts through to the most discerning of collectors.”
Additional cars recently added to the Online Only sale include:
- A black-over-black 2001 Ferrari 550 Barchetta, one of 448 built and equipped with the rare carbon fiber auxiliary hardtop and six-speed manual gearbox (Est. $280,000 – $320,000);
- An as-new 2018 Lamborghini Aventador SVJ, one of just 800 produced worldwide, equipped with an impressive 770-hp 6.5-liter, naturally aspirated V-12 engine and having travelled a mere 295 miles (Est. $450,000 – $550,000);
- A 2020 Ferrari 488 Pista Spider, the company’s highest-ever performing Ferrari Spider, attractively optioned in black with red racing stripe and with less than 100 miles on the clock (Est. $525,000 – $625,000);
- Produced in RS Green finish, an extremely rare 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS equipped with the Chrono Package Plus, adding even more performance capabilities, and showing approximately 9,100 miles (Est. $175,000 – $225,000);
- Offered from a Southern California collector, a 1952 Jaguar XK 120 Roadster, completely restored by a marque specialist with numerous upgrades made for extended driving and rallying and accompanied by a Jaguar Daimler Heritage Trust certificate (Est. $100,000 – $125,000);
- A matching-numbers 1975 Ferrari Dino 308 GT4 ‘Safari’, equipped with its original engine and transmission and recently upgraded to off-road “Safari’ specifications (Est. $70,000 – $90,000, offered without reserve); and,
- A rare, Japanese-delivered 1992 Mazda RX-7 Efini Type-R, reading just 9,160 km on the odometer (Est. $55,000 – $70,000).
Each car offered in the Online Only auction will be presented with comprehensive photography and in most cases will be accompanied by condition reports completed by RM Sotheby’s specialists as well as catalogue descriptions. Where available, additional information on each lot, such as history files, production certificates, restoration documentation, service invoices, owner’s manuals, and accompanying parts can be viewed online, once logged in to rmsothebys.com, by clicking the “View Files” button on the individual lot page.
Bidder registration is currently open for Online Only: Driving into Summer and requires very simple steps to complete. RM Sotheby’s Client Service team is ready to assist interested bidders with any part of the account creation or registration process. Additional information on “How Bidding Works” will appear on each lot page once the lot is live and when clients are logged in as registered bidders. Responses to frequently asked questions are also available here. Interested bidders are also invited to contact an RM Sotheby’s car specialist should they wish to discuss cars of interest. Additional information is available at rmsothebys.com.
FOR MORE NEWS FROM RM SOTHEBY’S: #RMSothebys #RMOnlineOnly
About RM Sotheby’s
RM Sotheby’s is the world’s largest collector car auction house by total sales. With 40 years of proven results in the collector car industry, RM’s vertically integrated range of services, from auctions and private sales to estate planning and financial services, coupled with an expert team of car specialists and an international footprint, provide an unsurpassed level of service to the global collector car market. RM Sotheby’s is currently responsible for six of the top ten most valuable motor cars ever sold at auction. In February 2015, RM formed a strategic partnership with Sotheby’s, uniting the two companies for the full calendar of future automobile auctions. For further information, visit rmsothebys.com.
Source: RM Sotheby’s