- 3,300 lots sold across 13 auctions in 4 countries
- 84 percent overall sell-through rate
- Bidders from 59 countries
- 23 percent of bidders are first-time clientele
- Cars sourced from 32 countries
- 68 lots sold for over US$1 million
LED BY MOST VALUABLE CAR EVER SOLD AT AUCTION:
$48.4 MILLION 1962 FERRARI 250 GTO
- Ferrari 250 GTO sold at RM Sotheby’s 2018 Monterey auction becomes most valuable car sold at auction in 2018 and most valuable car ever sold at auction
- RM Sotheby’s holds top Ferrari, Porsche, Aston Martin, and Mercedes-Benz sales for 2018
- RM Sotheby’s has sold six of the top ten most valuable cars ever sold at auction
RM SOTHEBY’S TOP TEN AUCTION SALES OF 2018
- 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO $48,405,000 (Monterey)
The most valuable car ever sold at auction
- 1956 Ferrari 290 MM $22,005,000 (Petersen Automotive Museum)
One of the top ten most valuable cars ever sold at auction
- 1963 Aston Martin DP215 Grand Touring Competition Prototype $21,455,000 (Monterey)
Most valuable Aston Martin sold at auction in 2018
- 1966 Ford GT40 Mk II $9,795,000 (Monterey)
Most valuable Ford sold at auction in 2018
- 1985 Porsche 959 Paris-Dakar $5,945,000 (Porsche 70th Anniversary)
Most valuable Porsche sold at auction in 2018 and a world record for a Porsche 959
- 1957 Porsche 550A Spyder $4,900,000 (Monterey)
One of the top ten most valuable Porsches ever sold at auction
- 1956 Maserati A6G/2000 Berlinetta $4,515,000 (Monterey)
A new world record for the model at auction
- 1998 Mercedes-Benz AMG CLK GTR $4,515,000 (Monterey)
A new world record for the model at auction
- 2017 Bugatti Chiron $4,138,068 (Paris)
A world record price for the model at auction
- 1934 Packard Twelve Individual Custom Convertible Victoria $3,745,000 (Monterey)
One of the most valuable and most significant Packards ever sold at auction
PRIVATE SALES DIVISION TRANSACTIONS EXCEED MORE THAN $150 MILLION
- Private Sales division handles the discreet sale of more than $150 million of some of the world’s most significant collector cars in 2018
- Successful transactions led by 1963 Ferrari 275 P, the only Ferrari to have won the legendary 24 Hours of Le Mans twice, 1958 Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa, and highly sought-after 1998 McLaren F1 LM-Specification
FOR A COMPLETE REVIEW OF 2018 HIGHLIGHTS, PLEASE CLICK HERE
BLENHEIM, ONTARIO, CANADA – December 2018 – (Motor Sports Newswire) – RM Sotheby’s, the world’s largest auction house for investment quality automobiles, has released global auction sales totals and highlights for 2018 following the company’s final event at the Petersen Automotive Museum in Los Angeles this past weekend.
“2018 proved to be an outstanding year for RM Sotheby’s despite the subdued conditions in the collector car market,” says Kenneth Ahn, President, RM Sotheby’s. “RM Sotheby’s maintained market leadership as the largest collector car auction house by total sales and saw strong activity in the high end of the market, as we sold 68 collector cars for over $1 million each, for a combined value of more than $222 million (approx. 52 percent of our total sales); we also maintained our position as number one auction house in $1 million+ cars by both total sales and the number of cars sold. As illustrated by our top ten results, prices for rare, high-quality cars have been exceptionally strong across several segments of the market, from blue-chip racing and touring cars of the 1950s and 60s, to great American Classics and modern supercars.”
Looking ahead to 2019 and the state of the collector car market globally, Ahn continues, “After two consecutive years of declining average prices for collector cars sold across global auction houses, we have witnessed a stabilization in the pricing environment and solid market fundamentals, including strong industry-wide total sales and sell-through rates, in 2018. Further, the higher end of the market has been exceptionally strong for us, and our new Private Sales Division achieved total sales of more than $150 million –a result well beyond our expectations. We at RM Sotheby’s are optimistic about the collector car market heading into 2019, as we look forward to expanding into new regions as well as expanding our offerings across a growing global client base. We are grateful for our clients around the globe who have entrusted us in buying and selling some of the best motor cars in the world.”
RM Sotheby’s will open its 2019 calendar with the company’s 20th annual Arizona auction, 17-18 January at the Biltmore Resort & Spa in Phoenix. The complete digital catalogue for the Arizona sale will be available ahead of the holiday season, with additional feature car announcements yet to come. The company’s sixth annual Paris auction, set for 6 February, will be coupled with a Private Sales display on RM Sotheby’s stand at the renowned Rétromobile show as the division grows its presence in Europe. The auction house will further extend its European footprint into Germany with its inaugural sale at Techno Classica Essen, which has now been expanded to a two-day auction, 11-12 April, thanks to the addition of The Youngtimer Collection, which is already drawing significant interest. RM Sotheby’s will also become the official auction partner of Aston Martin in 2019, adding a third, single-marque evening to its 2019 Monterey sale.
For additional information on all upcoming RM Sotheby’s events, please visit rmsothebys.com. Interested consignors and bidders are invited to call +1 519 352 4575 (Canada), +1 310 559 4575 (California), or +44 (0) 20 7851 7070 (UK/Europe) to speak with a car specialist.
- Total sales are $423,152,030. Results are listed in USD and are inclusive of buyer’s premiums (note different buyer’s premium structures for RM Sotheby’s North America, RM Sotheby’s Europe/UK, and RM Auctions events). Sale total includes select post-sale transactions as well as the Ferrari 512 BB sold in Sotheby’s The Midas Touch auction in October 2018.
- Please note this figure includes worldwide total auction sales for January – December 2018 and does not include the total for private sales.
FOR MORE NEWS FROM THE RM SOTHEBY’S GROUP: #RMSothebys
About RM Sotheby’s
RM Sotheby’s is the world’s largest auction house for investment-quality automobiles. With more than 35 years’ experience in the collector car industry, RM’s vertically integrated range of services, from private sales and auctions (including both RM Sotheby’s and RM Auctions events) to estate planning and financial services, coupled with an expert team of car specialists and an international footprint, provide an unsurpassed level of service to the global collector car market. In February 2015, RM formed a strategic partnership with Sotheby’s, uniting the two companies for the full calendar of future automobile auctions. For further information, visit rmsothebys.com.
Source: RM Sotheby’s