LOS ANGELES, CA – November 29, 2018 – (Motor Sports Newswire) – The new Porsche 911 GT2 RS Clubsport will celebrate its world premiere at the Los Angeles Auto Show today. The 700 hp racing version of the street-legal 911 GT2 RS sports car is limited to 200 units globally, and will be eligible to run at clubsport events, Porsche Club of America (PCA) track days as well as selected motorsport meets. “For the upcoming years, our customers will not only race the GT2 RS Clubsport during open track days but also at international motor racing events. We are currently holding very productive talks with the race organizer SRO,” says Dr Frank-Steffen Walliser, Vice President Motorsport and GT Cars.
The new race car from Weissach is based on the high-performance series production 911 GT2 RS sports car, just like in the 935, which was recently unveiled at Porsche Rennsport Reunion VI in September. Both share the same engine as their road-legal relative: a state-of-the-art 3.8-liter flat-six twin-turbocharged engine. Power from the boxer powerplant is transferred via a rigidly mounted seven-speed Porsche dual clutch gearbox (PDK) to the 310 millimeter wide rear wheels. Like in all other racing versions of the 911, the driver changes gears via ergonomically positioned shift paddles on the steering wheel. The positioning of the engine behind the rear axle ensures excellent traction and braking performance. Six-piston aluminium monobloc racing calipers on the front axle in combination with internally ventilated and grooved iron brake discs with a 390 millimeter diameter provide excellent deceleration values at the front axle. The rear axle is fitted with four-piston calipers and 380 millimeter discs.
Like the street-legal 911 GT2 RS, the 3,064 pound (1,390 kilogram) Clubsport version is equipped with PSM (Porsche Stability Management) including traction control as well as an anti-lock braking system (ABS). Thanks to a map switch positioned on the center console, these assistance systems can be adjusted separately or switched off completely depending upon the race track situation.
The carbon fiber steering wheel and the color display behind it have been taken from the 2019 Porsche 911 GT3 R model. A built-in safety cage combined with a racing bucket seat and a six-point safety harness ensure maximum safety. Air conditioning provides optimal interior cooling.
The new Porsche 911 GT2 RS Clubsport carries a MSRP base price of $478,000 USD, excluding tax, shipping, and import fees. All interested customers should email GT2RSCS@porschemotorsport.com to register interest. Customers can expect to begin to receive their vehicles beginning in May 2019.
Technical description Porsche 911 GT2 RS Clubsport (Type 991, Gen. 2)
- Single-seater, non-street-legal race car
- Basis: Porsche 911 GT2 RS (Type 991.2)
- Weight: ca. 3,064 pounds (1,390 kg)
- Length: 186.7 inches (4,743 mm)
- Width: 77.9 inches (1,978 mm)
- Total height: 53.5 inches (1,359 mm)
- Wheelbase: 96.7 inches (2,457 mm)
- Water-cooled 6-cylinder aluminium twin-turbocharged rear-mounted boxer engine with rigid mounting; 3,800 cc; stroke 77.5 mm; bore 102 mm; ca. 700 hp; 4-valve technology with VarioCam Plus camshaft adjustment and valve lift control
- Electronic engine management (Continental SDI 9)
- DMSB-approved 100-cell metal catalytic converter
- Rear muffler with twin tailpipes mounted centrally
- 7-speed PDK gearbox with rigid mounts and short paddle throws
- Dual mass flywheel
- Internal pressurized oil lubrication with active oil cooling
- Limited slip differential optimized for racing
- Weight-optimized bodyshell in aluminium-steel composite design
- CFRP motorsport rear wing
- Enlarged air inlets with integrated LED headlights in 4-point design
- CFRP roof with removable escape hatch complying with FIA Art. 275a
- Lightweight CFRP front lid with quick release catches
- Removable CFRP rear lid with quick release catches
- 115-liter FT3 safety fuel cell, refueling through the front lid
- Welded-in safety cage
- Recaro® racing bucket seat with longitudinal seat adjustment and padding system in accordance with FIA Standard 8862/2009
- 6-point safety harness
- Air jack system (three jacks)
- Fire extinguishing system with electronic release unit
Front axle: MacPherson suspension strut; adjustable height, camber and track; optimized stiffness with high-performance spherical bearings; center-lock wheel nuts; 3-way racing dampers; reinforced tie-rods; electro-mechanical power steering with variable steering ratio; anti-roll bar
Rear axle: Multi-link suspension; adjustable height, camber and track; optimized stiffness with high-performance spherical bearings; center-lock wheel nuts; 3-way racing dampers; anti-roll bar
- Two separate brake circuits for front and rear axles; adjustable via brake balance bar system
- Six-piston aluminium monobloc racing brake calipers with anti-knock-back piston springs; multi-piece iron brake discs, internally ventilated with 390 mm diameter, racing brake pads, optimized brake cooling ducts
- Four-piston aluminium monobloc racing brake calipers with anti-knock-back piston springs; multi-piece iron brake discs, internally ventilated with 380 mm diameter, racing brake pads, optimized brake cooling ducts
- Instrument cluster consisting of Cosworth® color display ICD with integrated data logger; Sport Chrono clock and boost gauge in a vintage finish
- Porsche steering wheel with shift paddles and quick-release coupling
- PSM (Porsche Stability Management) with ABS, Traction Control and Electronic Stability Control (able to be completely switched off)
- Center console with map switch to adjust the ABS, ESC, TC, and switch between preset tire circumferences
- Porsche Track Precision Race App
- Integrated lap trigger
- Lightweight lithium-ion (LiFePo) battery, 60 Ah, leakproof, mounted in passenger footwell
- Emergency cut-off switch in cockpit and outside left of the windscreen
- Tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS)
- Air conditioning
Front axle: One-piece light-alloy forged wheels
10.5J x 18 offset 28 with center-lock nut
Michelin transport tires 27/65-R18
Michelin rain/slick tires, dimensions: 27/65-18
Rear axle: One-piece light-alloy forged wheels
12.5J x 18 offset 53 with center-lock nut;
Michelin transport tires 31/71-R18
Michelin rain/slick tires, dimensions: 31/71-18
- Water-based paint
- Exterior: white (9CA)
- Interior: white filler coat, without lacquer
- 200 cars
- $478,000 USD MSRP excluding tax, shipping, and import fees
- Delivery from May 2019
About Porsche Cars North America, Inc. | One Porsche Drive, Atlanta, GA 30354 USA
Established in 1984, Porsche Cars North America, Inc. (PCNA) is the exclusive U.S. importer of the Porsche 911, 718 Boxster and 718 Cayman; Panamera; and Cayenne and Macan. Headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia since 1998, PCNA is also home to the first Porsche Experience Center in North America featuring a module-based 1.6 mile driver development track, business center, and fine dining restaurant, 356.
The company operates a second Porsche Experience Center near Los Angeles. That 53-acre complex features a driver development track with eight educational modules totaling 4.1 miles, a business center, and Restaurant 917. PCNA employs over 300 people who provide parts, service, marketing, and training for 190 dealers. They, in turn, work to provide Porsche customers with a best-in-class experience that is in keeping with the Porsche brand’s 70-year history of leadership in the advancement of vehicle performance, safety, and efficiency. PCNA is an indirect wholly-owned subsidiary of Porsche AG, which is headquartered in Stuttgart, Germany.
At the core of this success is Porsche’s proud racing heritage that boasts some 30,000-plus motorsport wins to date.
Follow us: twitter.com/porsche | facebook.com/porsche
For Porsche apps: https://www.porsche.com/usa/apps-and-entertainment/apps/
Source: Porsche Cars North America, Inc.