Roadster, Sports Touring And Adventure Optimized For A New Dimension Of Riding
WOODCLIFF LAKE, NJ – November 19, 2018 – (Motor Sports Newswire) – For decades, the boxer engine in the BMW Motorrad R, RS and GS Adventure models has stood for distinctive, powerful and reliable propulsion for dynamic riding along country roads, sporty touring or long-distance motorcycling adventures. For more than 25 years, BMW Motorrad has used 4-valve technology, combined with electronic fuel injection and closed-loop catalytic converter technology, to achieve the best possible power and torque delivery, efficiency and environmental compatibility.
Enhanced boxer engine with BMW ShiftCam Technology for an additional increase in power across the entire engine speed range, reduced emission and fuel consumption levels, optimized running smoothness and refinement.
With the enhanced boxer engine, the new R 1250 R, R 1250 GS and R 1250 GS Adventure achieve a whole new level of power and torque, while significantly optimizing refinement and running smoothness – especially within the lower engine speed range. The new engine offers improved emission and fuel consumption levels as well as a particularly satisfying sound. For this purpose, BMW ShiftCam Technology has been used for the first time in the serial production of BMW Motorrad engines: this enables variation of the valve timings and valve stroke on the intake side. In addition, the intake camshafts are designed for asynchronous opening of the two intake valves, resulting in enhanced swirl of the fresh, incoming mixture and therefore more effective combustion. Other technical changes to the engine relate to the camshaft drive – now managed by a toothed chain (previously a roller chain) – an optimized oil supply, twin-jet injection valves and a new exhaust system.
Two ride modes, ASC and Hill Start Control are standard.
Two ride modes – available as standard – allow the motorcycle to be adapted to individual rider preferences. The standard Automatic Stability Control (ASC) ensures a high level of riding safety with the best possible traction. Hill Start Control is also a standard feature for all three models, eliminating the need to hold your brake while stopped on an incline.
Ride Modes Pro, featuring additional riding modes, Dynamic Traction Control DTC, ABS Pro, Hill Start Control Pro and Dynamic Brake Assistant DBC, is available as a factory option.
Optional “Ride Modes Pro” now features the additional ride modes “Dynamic” and “Dynamic Pro” (configurable), and Dynamic Traction Control DTC. In addition to “Dynamic” and “Dynamic Pro” modes, “Enduro” and “Enduro Pro” modes (configurable) are also included on the R 1250 GS Adventure.
A number of additional safety features are also included in the “Ride Modes Pro” option. DTC enables even more efficient and safe acceleration, especially when banking. ABS Pro offers even greater safety when braking, even when cornering or in a banking position. The new Dynamic Brake Control DBC provides additional safety when braking, particularly in challenging situations, by avoiding unintentional accelerator activation. Through intervention in the engine control, drive torque is reduced during braking to make full use of the braking power at the rear wheel. This keeps the motorcycle stable and shortens the braking distance.
LED headlamps for the R 1250 RS and R 1250 GS Adventure are standard
The new R 1250 RS and R 1250 GS Adventure now feature standard LED headlamps for the first time ever. The R 1250 R has a halogen headlamp with a stylish design element included.
Optional Dynamic ESA (Electronic Suspension Adjustment) “Next Generation” with fully automatic load compensation as an option.
With the next generation of the BMW Motorrad Dynamic ESA option, damping automatically adapts to the riding situations and maneuvers, and automatically compensates in all load conditions. This allows finely tuned adaptation of the motorcycle to riding conditions, achieving optimum damping comfort and a very stable ride response.
Connectivity: Multifunctional instrument cluster with 6.5 inch full-color TFT display offering many standard features.
The three new boxer models now have the Connectivity equipment feature as standard, including a 6.5-inch full-color TFT screen. In conjunction with the standard BMW Motorrad Multi-Controller, this means the rider can access vehicle and connectivity functions swiftly and conveniently.
BMW Motorrad Spezial – high-quality customization features as factory optional equipment.
BMW Motorrad Spezial is a range of individualization options that enhance both performance and value by focusing on the harmonious integration of the highest-quality materials, elaborate manual workmanship, and characteristic attention to detail.
The Option 719 Classic and HP billet packs are available for the new boxer models. The new R 1250 R and R 1250 RS can also be equipped with the Option 719 Classic or Sport Wheels as well as exclusive paintwork and the Option 719 two-tone black/dark brown seat.
New attractive colors and style options.
The new boxer models each feature three paint options, two of which are paired with striking style packages. In addition, one Option 719 Spezial Paint Finish is also available for the new R 1250 R and R 1240 RS.
The highlights of the new BMW R 1250 R, BMW R 1250 RS and BMW R 1250 GS Adventure:
- Further developed boxer engine with BMW ShiftCam Technology for variation of the valve timings and valve stroke on the intake side.
- Even more power across the entire engine speed range, optimized fuel consumption and emission levels, increased running smoothness and refinement.
- Increased output and torque: 136 hp (100 kW) at 7,750 rpm and 105 lb-ft (143 Nm) at 6,250 rpm (previously: 125 hp (92 kW) / 92 lb-ft (125 Nm) at 6,750 rpm and 92 lb-ft (125 Nm) at 6,500 rpm.
- Capacity increased to 1,254 cc (previously: 1,170 cc).
- Asynchronous valve opening on the intake side for optimized mix and more effective combustion.
- Camshaft drive now via toothed chain (previously roller chain)
- Optimized oil supply and piston base cooling.
- Knock sensor system for optimized travel suitability.
- Latest generation of BMS-O engine control and use of twin-jet injection valves for even more effective carburetion.
- New exhaust system for optimum performance characteristics.
- Two riding modes, ASC (Automatic Stability Control) and Hill Start Control are standard.
- Ride Modes Pro, featuring additional ride modes, DTC (Dynamic Traction Control), ABS Pro, Hill Start Control Pro and DBC (Dynamic Brake Assistant), is available as a factory option.
- Optional Dynamic ESA (Electronic Suspension Adjustment) “Next Generation” with fully automatic load compensation.
- Standard adjustability of the seat height on the R 1250 GS Adventure (exception Style HP) as well as a wide range of optional seat heights.
- New optional Sports Handlebars for R 1250 R for a more dynamic riding position.
- In addition to standard adjustability of seat height (exception: HP style for the R 1250 GS Adventure), wide range of optional seat heights.
- Standard LED headlamp for the R 1250 RS (completely new design) and R 1250 GS Adventure.
- Connectivity: Multifunctional instrument cluster with 6.5 inch full-color TFT display offering many features as standard.
- BMW Motorrad Spezial – Factory options for customization
- Extended range of optional equipment items and original BMW Motorrad Accessories.
The new R 1250 R:
- Dynamic naked bike character with three paint options, two of which are paired with style packages. In addition, one Option 719 Spezial Paint Finish is also available.
The new R 1250 RS:
- Sport and touring character with three paint options, two of which are paired with style packages. In addition, one Option 719 Spezial Paint Finish is also available
- New front spoiler and cockpit cover (R 1250 R and R 1250 RS).
- Newly designed upper trim (R 1250 RS).
The new F 1250 GS Adventure:
- Off-road adventure prowess with three paint options, two of which are paired with striking style packages. New body features, such as black-grained lid for storage compartment with embossed GS logo, trim for the intake snorkel, radiator trim with electroplated look, tank bracket and engine protection bars adapted to the design of the body frame.
BMW Group In America
BMW of North America, LLC has been present in the United States since 1975. Rolls-Royce Motor Cars NA, LLC began distributing vehicles in 2003. The BMW Group in the United States has grown to include marketing, sales, and financial service organizations for the BMW brand of motor vehicles, including motorcycles, the MINI brand, and Rolls-Royce Motor Cars; Designworks, a strategic design consultancy based in California; technology offices in Silicon Valley and Chicago, and various other operations throughout the country. BMW Manufacturing Co., LLC in South Carolina is the BMW Group global center of competence for BMW X models and manufactures the X3, X4, X5, and X6 Sports Activity Vehicles. The BMW Group sales organization is represented in the U.S. through networks of 346 BMW passenger car and BMW Sports Activity Vehicle centers, 153 BMW motorcycle retailers, 127 MINI passenger car dealers, and 36 Rolls-Royce Motor Car dealers. BMW (US) Holding Corp., the BMW Group’s sales headquarters for North America, is located in Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey.
Information about BMW products is available to consumers via the Internet at: www.bmwmotorradusa.com.
Source: BMW of North America, LLC