Aaron Plessinger Maintains Western Regional 250SX Class Points Lead With Second Consecutive Win
OAKLAND, CA – February 3, 2018 – (Motor Sports Newswire) – Monster Energy Supercross, an FIM World Championship, hosted Round 5 of the 2018 season in front of a crowd of 48,146 fans inside Oakland Alameda County Coliseum.
Rockstar Energy Husqvarna Factory Racing’s Jason Anderson rallied from a sixth-place start to meet Team Honda HRC’s Ken Roczen in a battle for the lead on the last lap, which ended with Anderson taking the win by less than a second.
“This was a big night for me,” Anderson said on the podium. “I didn’t start off too well … that’s one of the best races of my life. I just want to keep it going. Everyone’s getting good. I’m excited to be up here.”
Last week’s winner Monster Energy Kawasaki’s Eli Tomac started seventh and struggled to a 13th place finish. The Rocky Mountain ATV/MC/KTM/WPS Team ride of Blake Baggett started fourth and found his way to third for his first podium of the season.
In the 250SX Class Main Event, Monster Energy/Yamalube/Star/Yamaha Aaron Plessinger worked his way to the front after starting sixth to capture his second straight win, leading eight of the 19 laps. Plessinger is the only rider to maintain the points lead for two consecutive weeks.
“I got off to a great start,” Plessinger said on the podium. “‘I’ve been sick since Thursday; I thought I had the flu. I had to work through it; it was probably the hardest race I’ve ever done in my life, but the guys tell me never quit.”
Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki’s Joey Savatgy earned his third podium of the season after a tight battle with Autotrader/Yoshimura/Suzuki Factory Racing’s JustinHill who earned his first podium of 2018 with a third-place finish.
For official race results, please visit results.amasupercross.com.
450SX Class Results
- Jason Anderson, Rio Rancho, N.M., Husqvarna
- Ken Roczen, Clermont, Fla., Honda
- Blake Baggett, Grand Terrance, Calif., KTM
- Marvin Musquin, Clermont, Fla., KTM
- Justin Barcia, Greenville, Fla., Yamaha
- Cole Seely, Newbury Park, Calif., Honda
- Cooper Webb, Newport, N.C., Yamaha
- Broc Tickle, Holly, Mich., KTM
- Justin Brayton, Mint Hill, N.C., Honda
- Joshua Grant, Wildomar, Calif., Kawasaki
450SX Class Championship Standings
- Jason Anderson, Rio Rancho, N.M., Husqvarna (115)
- Ken Roczen, Clermont, Fla., Honda (100)
- Justin Barcia, Greenville, Fla., Yamaha (98)
- Cole Seely, Newbury Park, Calif., Honda (87)
- Justin Brayton, Mint Hill, N.C., Honda (82)
- Weston Peick, Menifee, Calif., Suzuki (82)
- Blake Baggett, Grand Terrance, Calif., KTM (78)
- Marvin Musquin, Clermont, Fla., KTM (73)
- Joshua Grant, Wildomar, Calif., Kawasaki (71)
- Cooper Webb, Newport, N.C., Yamaha (68)
Western Regional 250SX Class Results
- Aaron Plessinger, Hamilton, Ohio, Yamaha
- Joey Savatgy, Thomasville, Ga., Kawasaki
- Justin Hill, Yoncalla, Ore., Suzuki
- Christian Craig, Orange, Calif. Honda
- Alex Martin, Millville, Minne., KTM
- Chase Sexton, Clermont, Fla., Honda
- Adam Cianciarulo, New Smyrna, Fla., Kawasaki
- Kyle Chisholm, Valrico, Fla., Yamaha
- Mitchell Harrison, Tallahassee, Fla., Husqvarna
- Hayden Mellross, Clermont, Fla., Yamaha
Western Regional 250SX Class Championship Standings
- Aaron Plessinger, Hamilton, Ohio, Yamaha (118)
- Joey Savatgy, Thomasville, Ga., Kawasaki (110)
- Shane McElrath, Canton, N.C., KTM (99)
- Adam Cianciarulo, New Smyrna, Fla., Kawasaki (93)
- Christian Craig, Orange, Calif. Honda (89)
- Chase Sexton, Clermont, Fla., Honda (86)
- Justin Hill, Yoncalla, Ore., Suzuki (79)
- Kyle Chisholm, Valrico, Fla., Yamaha (68)
- Mitchell Oldenburg, Alvord, Texas, Yamaha (58)
- Mitchell Harrison, Tallahassee, Fla., Husqvarna (58)
The 2018 Monster Energy Supercross season continues next Saturday, February 10, with Round 6 from San Diego. Watch the action live on FS1 at 7 p.m. PT / 10 p.m. ET.
For more information on the Monster Energy AMA Supercross, an FIM World Championship, please log onto SupercrossLIVE.com, the official website of Monster Energy Supercross, or follow via social channels:
About Feld Entertainment
Feld Entertainment® is the worldwide leader in producing and presenting live touring family entertainment experiences that uplift the human spirit and bring people together. Properties include Monster Jam®, Monster Energy Supercross, AMSOIL Arenacross, Disney On Ice, Disney Live!, Sesame Street Live! and Marvel Universe LIVE! Across the brand portfolio, Feld Entertainment has entertained millions of families in more than 75 countries and on six continents. Visit feldentertainment.com for more information.
About the American Motorcyclist Association
Founded in 1924, the AMA is a not-for-profit member-based association whose mission is to promote the motorcycle lifestyle and protect the future of motorcycling. As the world’s largest motorcycling rights and event sanctioning organization, the AMA advocates for riders’ interests at all levels of government and sanctions thousands of competition and recreational events every year. The AMA also provides money-saving discounts on products and services for its members. Through the AMA Motorcycle Hall of Fame in Pickerington, Ohio, the AMA honors the heroes and heritage of motorcycling. For more information, visit www.americanmotorcyclist.com.
Source: Feld Entertainment, Inc.