- RM Sotheby’s announces the most complete collection of special Porsche Type 964 variants for its 20th annual Amelia Island sale
- Rarities within collection include an as-new Carrera RSR 3.8, a low-mileage Carrera RS 3.8 and a Turbo S ‘Leichtbau’
- Select vehicles from the collection on view at RM Sotheby’s Arizona sale, 18-19 January in Phoenix
- Amelia Island sale to feature 100 blue-chip automobiles at the Ritz-Carlton
- Complete collection list available at www.rmsothebys.com
BLENHEIM, ONTARIO, CANADA – January 4, 2018 – (Motor Sports Newswire) – RM Sotheby’s will present the world’s most extensive and exclusive collection of limited-production Porsche 911 Type 964 variants when the company returns to Florida as the official auction house of the Amelia Island Concours d’Elegance, 10 March.
Aptly named Exclusively Porsche – The 964 Collection, the group of eleven Type 964s (and one 930) was assembled by a single collector, and avid Porsche enthusiast, over a decade and comprises the last of the truly hand-built Porsches, yet the first production models with coil-over suspensions, power steering, and ABS brakes. The collector also sought out the finest examples of all the 964 “specials”—high-performance cars either built or modified in limited quantities by Porsche’s Exclusive department.
The outstanding group of cars is led by an essentially brand-new, never raced 1993 Carrera RSR 3.8, finished in very rare paint-to-sample Ferrari Yellow. One of just 45 built, it has recorded a mere 765 km on its odometer (Est. $1,200,000 – $1,400,000). Also on offer is a one-of-55 1993 Carrera RS 3.8, presented in mint condition with less than 7,000 km (Est. $1,250,000 – $1,500,000), a one-of-86 1993 Turbo S ‘Leichtbau’ (Est. $1,000,000 – $1,200,000), and a pair of very rare ‘flat nose’ variants, including the Turbo S X83 ‘Flachbau’, one of the rarest production Porsches at just 10 ever built (Est. $500,000 – $650,000), and the U.S.-production Turbo S X85 ‘Flachbau’, one of just 39 (Est. $600,000 – $800,000).
“The 964 Collection is without a doubt the most complete and best collection of limited-production Porsche 964s to ever come to public auction,” says Alexander Weaver, Car Specialist, RM Sotheby’s. “The owner was well ahead of his time in assembling this group, which represents some of the rarest models in the entire Porsche lineage. We’ve had the privilege of bringing several exceptional collections of Porsche 911s to market over the last two years, and look forward to securing more strong results in Amelia Island, a proven venue for fresh-to-market rarities.”
The collection also includes:
- 1991 Carrera Cup (Est. $250,000 – $325,000);
- 1994 Turbo 3.6 (Est. $200,000 – $250,000, offered without reserve);
- 1994 Speedster (Est. $200,000 – $250,000, offered without reserve);
- 1991 Turbo 3.3 (Est. $200,000 – $250,000, offered without reserve);
- 1992 Carrera RS (Est. $200,000 – $250,000, offered without reserve);
- 1989 Turbo ‘Flat Nose’ Coupe (Est. $200,000 – $250,000, offered without reserve); and,
- 1993 Carrera RS America (Est. $200,000 – $250,000, offered without reserve).
The Carrera RS 3.8, Turbo S ‘Leichtbau’, and the Turbo S X85 ‘Flachbau’ will be on public view at RM Sotheby’s first event of 2018 in Arizona, 18-19 January. RM Sotheby’s 20th anniversary Amelia Island sale will present approximately 100 of the most sought-after blue-chip automobiles at the Ritz-Carlton on 10 March, ranging from coachbuilt classics to sports and racing rarities, and late model collectibles. To view a frequently updated list of entries for the sale and for additional information on consignment opportunities, please visit www.rmsothebys.com or call RM Sotheby’s headquarters at +1 519 352 4575.
FOR MORE NEWS FROM RM SOTHEBY’S: #RMAMELIA
About RM Sotheby’s
RM Sotheby’s is the world’s largest auction house for investment-quality automobiles. With more than 35 years’ experience in the collector car industry, RM’s vertically integrated range of services, from private treaty sales and auctions (including both RM Sotheby’s and RM Auctions events) to estate planning and financial services, coupled with an expert team of car specialists and an international footprint, provide an unsurpassed level of service to the global collector car market. In February 2015, RM formed a strategic partnership with Sotheby’s, uniting the two companies for the full calendar of future automobile auctions. For further information, visit www.rmsothebys.com.
Source: RM Sotheby’s