LATEST ADDITIONS JOIN EXTENSIVE SELECTION OF AUTOMOBILES,
PARTS AND MEMORABILIA OFFERED FOR SALE ONLINE
BIDDING SET TO OPEN TUESDAY 14 JULY WITH LOTS CLOSING
OVER TWO DAYS, 21-22 JULY
WATCH THE EX-GIANNI AGNELLI ‘G. CINQUANTA’ SPEED BOAT IN ACTION
- RM Sotheby’s to offer sea power alongside land power as it adds one-of-one 1969 Sonny Levi designed “G. Cinquanta” G50 speed boat to Online Only: Open Roads, The European Summer Auction, open for bidding 14 July and closing across two days on 21-22 July
- See the stunning ex-Agnelli “G. Cinquanta” boat in action here
- Exquisite speed boat is joined by equally exquisite 1954 Fiat 8V Coupé, 1959 Ferrari 250 GT Coupé by Pinin Farina and 2009 Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren Stirling Moss as late entries to the online sale
- The time-based online auction will also play host to a small private German collection, offered entirely without reserve and led by a 1978 Aston Martin V8 Volante
- The auction will also feature a handful of memorabilia, including a collection of eight albums containing over 500 F1 driver autographs
- Additional information and updated list of lots available at rmsothebys.com
LONDON, ENGLAND – July 13, 2020 – (Motor Sports NewsWire) – RM Sotheby’s is proud to present an exceptional selection of newly-consigned lots which will join more than 100 collector cars in this week’s Online Only: Open Roads, The European Summer Auction. The second European-based motor car sale to be held on the auction house’s proprietary Online Only platform, interested bidders will have the exclusive opportunity to swap wheels for waves with the addition of a genuinely unique1968 Sonny Levi designed power boat – the “G. Cinquanta” G50, created new for charismatic Fiat boss, Gianni Agnelli.
Elegant yet monstrously powerful, the sensational “G. Cinquanta” was the product of the very latest in power boat engineering and design of its day. Commissioned by the much revered then President of Fiat, Alfa Romeo, Lancia and Ferrari, Giovanni (Gianni) Agnelli, his passion for sea-faring craft saw him establish a collection of modern and vintage yachts, fast motor cruisers and racing speedboats. With a brief that demanded the boat to be quick and reliable while being able to negotiate mixed weather conditions on the ocean, whilst also offering comfort, prestigious marine designer, Renato “Sonny” Levi, created the 37ft “G. Cinquanta” G50 as the answer to Agnelli’s desires. Built to its exacting specification by Cantiere Delta in Anzio, Italy, the craft features a luxurious cabin penned by the iconic Sergio Pininfarina, with power courtesy of four legendary BPM 8.0-litre V-8 Vulcano engines totalling 1,280hp. Now updated with four new BPM V-8 Vulcano engines, producing even more power than the originals and perfectly capable of taking the G50 to its top running speed of 50 knots (92 km/h), there’s perhaps no more stylish way to arrive into the harbours of Monaco or Cannes (Estimate Available Upon Request).
Nick Wiles, Car Specialist, RM Sotheby’s, says: “It’s a delight to offer a boat that is both truly unique and which holds so much interest to both automotive and nautical enthusiasts, thanks to its incredible provenance, gorgeous design and impressive performance capabilities. This is a rare opportunity to acquire a piece of history from a period when glamour and style was at its peak and if you need convincing, watch the footage of the “G. Cinquanta” at speed specially filmed for the forthcoming sale – it is truly nautical exhilaration, Italian-style”.
Joining the Italian-built G50 for sale in Online Only: Open Roads, The European Summer Auction next week are a duo of similarly rare and stylish Italian sports cars. Delivered new to Austria, the sale will also offer a rare and majestic 1954 Fiat 8V Coupé, one of just 114 examples of the small but seriously stylish coupes produced, which built a reputation in motorsport and as an exclusive road car. The only Fiat ever to sport a V-8 engine, its relatively modest 2.0-litre displacement was more than made up for by its lightweight construction and aerodynamic profile. Offered for sale in exceptional condition, this lovely example is fitted with its original engine and a specially fabricated synchromesh gearbox, with the original gearbox also included with the sale of the vehicle. Brought to the UK in January 1965, the car has remained there ever since and has made frequent appearances at classic race meetings, including the 2015 Goodwood Revival’s Fordwater Trophy (Est. €1,200,000 – €1,400,000).
Effortlessly stylish and unapologetically glamourous, the exquisitely restored 1959 Ferrari 250 GT Coupé by Pinin Farina is the epitome of a luxury grand touring sports car. Ferrari’s first pure road car targeted at achieving commercial success, the 3.0-litre Columbo V-12 took the 250 to just shy of 150mph and could reach 60mph from a standing start in just seven seconds. The example offered for sale in Online Only: Open Roads, The European Summer Auction was the 180th of 353 examples built and is a desirable Italian-delivered example. The vehicle benefits from a comprehensive restoration and is Ferrari Classiche certified (Est. €550,000 – €650,000).
But it’s not just Italian icons on offer. RM Sotheby’s is delighted to offer a 2009 Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren Stirling Moss, one of the rarest supercars ever created. The SLR Stirling Moss serves as a modern homage to the truly exceptional Mercedes 300 SLR that Sir Stirling Moss piloted to victory in the 1955 Mille Miglia and offers all the visual drama of the original 300 SLR. The 5.5-litre supercharged AMG V-8 used in the SLR 722 produces an astounding 641bhp resulting in a 354km/h top speed. This car, delivered new in special-order Antimony Grey Crystal over black leather interior, has been meticulously cared for throughout its life and has followed in the footsteps of its ancestors by taking part in the 2012 Mercedes-Benz 1000 Miglia challenge (Est.€1,900,000 – €2,200,000).
The auction will also play host to a small but diverse collection of five cars, carefully assembled by a passionate German enthusiast with each offered individually without reserve. An outstanding demonstration of Europe’s wide-ranging automotive landscape, the collection comprises:
- An undeniably handsome British bruiser, the 1978 Aston Martin V8 Volante retains its factory Madagascar Brown paint and Natural VM leather piped in dark tan. Delivered new to its first owner in 1978, the car was imported into Germany in 1994 and converted to European specification, where it has been regularly exercised and lovingly maintained (Est. €130,000 – €150,000, offered without reserve);
- The perfect platform for the torque-heavy 5.3-litre V-12, a 1973 Jaguar E-Type Series 3 V-12 Roadster finished in ‘triple black’ and has benefited from a complete engine rebuild by a German E-Type specialist and has had more than €40,000 of work over the last six years (Est. €80,000 – €100,000, offered without reserve);
- Delivered new to Italy in silver and benefiting from the restoration of its lightweight aluminium bodywork in the 1990s, the now-red 1964 Maserati Mistral 3.7 Coupe is one of just 383 units produced and retains its original engine (Est. €80,000 – €100,000, offered without reserve);
- A taste of the future – 1970s style; the Aston Martin Lagonda broke new ground with its ‘folded paper’ design language and avant-garde interior. This 1983 example is presented in the original specification of Cannock Black paintwork, black interior and black carpet; the current owner has carried out extensive maintenance work to make the car useable on a daily basis (Est. €50,000 – €70,000, offered without reserve);
- The undisputed chic Parisian icon, the 1971 Citroen DS Pallas is presented in desirable black on black with optional leather upholstery and rare five-speed transmission (Est. €30,000 – €50,000, offered without reserve).
Each car offered in the Online Only auction will be presented with an unprecedented amount of documentation, information and photography alongside condition reports completed by RM Sotheby’s specialists. Whenever available, additional information on each lot, such as history files, production certificates, restoration documentation, service invoices, owner’s manuals, and accompanying parts will be viewable online, once logged in, by clicking the “View Files” button on the individual lot page.
Interested bidders are invited to contact RM Sotheby’s via its European Office. Learn more at rmsothebys.com.
FOR MORE NEWS FROM RM SOTHEBY’S: #RMSothebys #RMOnlineOnly
About RM Sotheby’s
RM Sotheby’s is the world’s largest collector car auction house by total sales. With 40 years of proven results in the collector car industry, RM’s vertically integrated range of services, from auctions (live and online) and private sales to estate planning and financial services, coupled with an expert team of Car Specialists and an international footprint, provide an unsurpassed level of service to the global collector car market. RM Sotheby’s is currently responsible for six of the top ten most valuable motor cars ever sold at auction.
RM Sotheby’s launched its Online Only division in 2019, providing consignors and bidders an easy-to-use, proprietary platform that allows faster transactions to take place while still harnessing the level of service and global reach for which the RM Sotheby’s team is known. For further information, visit rmsothebys.com.
Source: RM Sotheby’s