SPECIAL NEW CONSIGNMENTS CONFIRMED FOR RM SOTHEBY’S AND FIA
ONLINE ONLY: #RACEAGAINSTCOVID AUCTION
ALL PROCEEDS FROM THE CHARITABLE AUCTION BENEFITTING
THE INTERNATIONAL FEDERATION OF RED CROSS AND RED CRESCENT SOCIETIES
GLOBAL RESPONSE TO COVID-19
BIDDER REGISTRATION NOW OPEN FOR 15-22 JUNE SALE ON RMSOTHEBYS.COM
ALL LOTS OFFERED WITHOUT RESERVE
- RM Sotheby’s reveals exciting new lots for Online Only: #RaceAgainstCOVID auction hosted on behalf of the FIA
- Latest highlights include Michael Schumacher’s original racing overalls from the 1998 Spanish Grand Prix, a beautiful Oyster Perpetual Cosmograph Daytona kindly donated by Rolex, a sensational scale model Lamborghini Huracán Performante donated by Automobili Lamborghini Spa, incredible experiences offered by Pirelli and Michelin, and more
- Bidding opens at 1:00 pm GMT on Monday, 15 June with lots closing beginning at 3:00 pm GMT on Monday, 22 June
- Additional information and bidder registration now available at rmsothebys.com
LONDON, ENGLAND – June 13, 2020 – (Motor Sports NewsWire) – RM Sotheby’s is proud to announce a number of special new consignments in the Online Only: #RaceAgainstCovid auction, held on behalf of the Fédération Internationale de l’Automobile (FIA) and which is helping to raise money for the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) as it tackles the global COVID-19 pandemic.
With the FIA Foundation contributing 1 Million EURO to the IFRC to kick-start the process, the #RaceAgainstCovid auction is continuing to attract a long list of unique donations from the motorsport community, including motorsports memorabilia, heritage items and experiences from Formula 1, World Rallying, World Endurance, Moto GP, Formula E, and much more.
One of the standout pieces that is sure to attract bidders is a set of Scuderia Ferrari racing overalls worn by Michael Schumacher at the 1998 Spanish Grand Prix – a race in which he finished on the podium behind Mika Häkkinen and David Coulthard’s all-conquering McLaren-Mercedes. Further highlights include the opportunity to bid on a 60%-scale bronze statue of one of Formula 1’s greatest ever drivers, Ayrton Senna, by sculptor Paul Oz. This is one of only 41 pieces – commemorating each of Senna’s career F1 victories – and is set on a black bronze plinth and cast by world renowned UK-based foundry Pangolin Editions.
Exclusive experiences have also been added to the auction offering. Pirelli is generously donating a true ‘money-can’t-buy’ experience at its Milan headquarters, including a tour of its R&D Centre with the new Testing Simulator, a visit to the Pirelli Foundation historical archive hosted by the Director, and an exclusive visit to the Pirelli HangarBicocca Contemporary Art Centre, hosted by the Hangar Curator. The package is completed with a personalized “Pole Position Wind Tunnel Tyre”, exactly as delivered to the fastest driver at the end of each F1 qualifying session, to be received from Mario Isola, Pirelli Head of F1 and Car Racing. Additionally, Pirelli offering three photographic prints, chosen from the archives of the Pirelli Calendar, by photographers Steve McCurry, Tim Walker and Albert Watson.
Michelin has also donated an incredible once-in-a-lifetime VIP experience for the 2021 24 Hours of Le Mans. This lot is sure to attract attention as it offers the best possible race and hospitality experience anywhere at the famed endurance race. It includes: full access to the VIP Michelin suite with open bar and premium views of the track, luxury meals experience, helicopter flight, private shuttle tour of the best vantage points at the track, a guided tour of Michelin’s race day tyre workshop, and two-night stay at a four-star hotel. Michelin is also offering racing tyres from different FIA championships, signed by many well-known drivers.
FIA President, Jean Todt, has personally shown his commitment to this cause by providing a set of Armin Flossdorf paintings that hold significant sentimental value for Mr. Todt from his time as General Manager of Scuderia Ferrari. The first canvas painting captures a joyous podium celebration with Jean Todt alongside Rubens Barichello and Michael Schumacher, while the second features a tremendously detailed and evocative painting of Michael Schumacher piloting his Ferrari F1 car around a tight race circuit corner.
Commenting on the confirmation of the exciting new lots, Maarten ten Holder, Head of Europe, RM Sotheby’s, says: “Members of the global motorsport family are uniting to help raise funds that will be used to fight the spread of COVID-19. These new additions to the #RaceAgainstCovid Auction are incredibly rare and offer the highest bidders the opportunity to own pieces of motorsport history and in some cases, experience it for themselves first-hand. The FIA’s incredible contribution to bring the global motorsport community together cannot be underestimated and we are excited to play our part in helping to raise funds for the IFRC.”
The sale will offer more than 75 lots, all of which have been generously donated by drivers, race teams, and members of the motor sport community, and many of which are personal items owned by some of the best-known names in motor sport. Additional new and notable consignments include:
- A sensational scale model Lamborghini Huracán Performante donated by Automobili Lamborghini Spa
- Nigel Mansell’s original racing overalls from his debut season with Lotus-Ford in 1980. This particular lot is the suit he wore at his first race, the Austrian Grand Prix. He would go on to complete a further four seasons with the Lotus team and break into the Top 10 of the Driver’s Standings in his final season with the team before moving to Williams in 1985.
- A 1991 Ayrton Senna replica racing suit donated by OMP Racing, one of just 41 produced in cooperation with the Instituto Ayrton Senna.
- Also donated by OMP Racing, an Emerson Fittipaldi signed racing suit, made especially for Fittipaldi to be worn during the 2018 Formula 1 Festival in Miami.
- An original 24 Hours of Le Mans poster offered by the race organizers Automobile Club de l’Ouest (ACO), which will be signed by all the drivers in the upcoming 2020 24 Hours of Le Mans.
- BMW Motorsport will open up the doors to its top-secret research and development centre in Munich, where the winning bidder will enjoy a one-hour instructed session on its Formula E simulator and experience what the professional drivers experience racing these cutting edge electric cars.
- ABB and Julius Baer are each offering up outstanding Formula E VIP hospitality experiences including two VIP hospitality tickets, a two-night stay at a luxury Five-Star hotel as well as on-track passenger lap experiences and a pit garage tour to meet and greet selected Formula E drivers. Exact locations to be defined based on ABB FIA Formula E World Championship 2021 calendar.
- Current Haas Formula 1 driver, Kevin Magnussen, has offered his 2020 race helmet for this special auction, while six-time WRC champion Sébastien Ogier’s race helmet from his 2012 WRC season, his first with Volkswagen Motorsport also goes under the virtual hammer.
- A beautiful Oyster Perpetual Cosmograph Daytona kindly donated by Rolex
- A scale carbon fibre version of revered abstract artist Frank Stella’s ‘Black Star’ sculpture
- Richard Mille has donated a signed set of Adidas AdiZero Prime SP running shoes as worn by Jamaican sprinter Yohan Blake as well as a Chelsea FC jersey that will be signed by Dider Drogba following the sale.
- An exquisitely crafted set of F.P. Journe writing instruments given by François-Paul Journe is newly included within the sale.
The Online Only: #RaceAgainstCovid Auction will open for bidding on Monday, 15 June with staggered lot closure on Monday, 22 June. DHL Motorsports has coordinated and carried out the logistics for all auction lots, using appropriate transport modes in order to ensure on-time and secured delivery.
Bidder registration is now open for Online Only: #RaceAgainstCovid and requires very simple steps to complete. RM Sotheby’s Client Service team is ready to assist interested bidders with any part of the account creation or registration process. Additional information on “How Bidding Works” will appear on each lot page once the lot is live and when clients are logged in as registered bidders. Frequently asked questions on the auction and the online bidding platform will also be available on the auction page.
Interested bidders are invited to contact RM Sotheby’s via its European Office. Learn more at rmsothebys.com.
FOR MORE NEWS FROM RM SOTHEBY’S: #RMSothebys #RMOnlineOnly
About RM Sotheby’s
RM Sotheby’s is the world’s largest collector car auction house by total sales. With 40 years of proven results in the collector car industry, RM’s vertically integrated range of services, from auctions (live and online) and private sales to estate planning and financial services, coupled with an expert team of Car Specialists and an international footprint, provide an unsurpassed level of service to the global collector car market. RM Sotheby’s is currently responsible for six of the top ten most valuable motor cars ever sold at auction.
RM Sotheby’s launched its Online Only division in 2019, providing consignors and bidders an easy-to-use, proprietary platform that allows faster transactions to take place while still harnessing the level of service and global reach for which the RM Sotheby’s team is known. For further information, visit rmsothebys.com.
Source: RM Sotheby’s