TIME-BASED ONLINE ONLY AUCTION TO FEATURE
OVER 100 MOTOR CARS AND SELECTION OF MEMORABILIA
OPEN FOR BIDDING 21 MAY
WITH LOTS NOW CLOSING 28–29 MAY ON RMSOTHEBYS.COM
BLENHEIM, ONTARIO, CANADA – May 6, 2020 – (Motor Sports NewsWire) – RM Sotheby’s has announced the latest highlights for its Online Only: Driving into Summer auction, a time-based online sale set to open for bidding at 1:00 pm ET on Thursday, 21 May with staggered closure on lots now extended to two days, beginning at 11:00 am ET on 28 May and continuing 29 May due to significant consignor interest. The auction, curated specifically for the Online Only platform, will offer more than 100 diverse motor cars as well as a selection of memorabilia on rmsothebys.com, with the latest entries highlighted by several superb Italian sports cars. Leading the group is a rare and exhilarating 1985 Ferrari 288 GTO.
The first of Ferrari’s incredible series of supercars, the highly anticipated, race-bred 288 GTO was built to impress, equipped with a 2.8-liter V-8 engine with twin IHI turbochargers, pumping out a monstrous 400 hp with 366 foot-pounds of torque. The GTO could rocket to a top speed of 189 mph, making it the fastest road car ever produced at the time of its unveiling. Its acceleration was equally impressive, able to reach 60 mph from a standstill in 4.8 seconds and 100 mph in 10.2 seconds.
One of just 272 produced, the 288 GTO offered in RM Sotheby’s Online Only auction was purchased new by well-known Ferrari collector Hartmut Ibing and has had just four owners from new. It is also one of few examples originally equipped with optional air-conditioning and power windows. The 288 GTO has more than lived up to the reputation of its predecessor, the 250 GTO, as a fantastic driving machine. Exceedingly rare even when compared to its contemporary brethren, it would stand out in even the world’s finest Ferrari and supercar collections (Est. $2,200,000 – $2,400,000).
Additional Italian sports cars through the decades set for the Online Only: Driving into Summer auction include:
- A handsome, matching-numbers 1958 Ferrari 250 GT Coupe with coachwork by Carrozzeria Ellena, recently comprehensively restored over a five-year period and elegantly presented in black paintwork over green leather interior with a silver top (Est. $625,000 – $725,000).
- Delivered new to Canada, a multi-award winning 2002 Ferrari 575M Maranello, one of 246 to leave the factory with North American specifications, fitted with the highly desirable Fiorano Handling Package and currently displaying less than 15,000 km (Est. $225,000 – $275,000).
- A desirable, early production 1959 Maserati 3500 GT by Touring with three twin-choke Weber carburetors, having undergone a sympathetic restoration in 2009 and beautifully presented today in elegant blue paintwork (Est. $220,000 – $260,000).
- One of Ferrari’s finest four-passenger touring cars, a 1964 Ferrari 330 GT 2+2 Series I by Pininfarina, one of just 625 examples produced, having underwent a recent, three-year restoration and finished in its original shade of Grigio Argento (Est. $160,000 – $180,000, offered without reserve).
- A 1995 Ferrari F355 Spider presented in excellent, highly original condition with yellow paintwork over black leather interior and reading just 30,222 miles (Est. $60,000 – $70,000).
Bidder registration is currently open for Online Only: Driving into Summer and requires very simple steps to complete. RM Sotheby’s Client Service team is ready to assist interested bidders with any part of the account creation or registration process. Additional information on “How Bidding Works” will appear on each lot page once the lot is live and when clients are logged in as registered bidders.
Frequently asked questions are also available here. Additional entries for the sale are welcomed through 14 May. Interested consignors are invited to contact an RM Sotheby’s car specialist about entering their car.
Additional information is available at rmsothebys.com.
FOR MORE NEWS FROM RM SOTHEBY’S: #RMSothebys #RMOnlineOnly
About RM Sotheby’s
RM Sotheby’s is the world’s largest collector car auction house by total sales. With 40 years of proven results in the collector car industry, RM’s vertically integrated range of services, from auctions and private sales to estate planning and financial services, coupled with an expert team of car specialists and an international footprint, provide an unsurpassed level of service to the global collector car market. RM Sotheby’s is currently responsible for six of the top ten most valuable motor cars ever sold at auction. In February 2015, RM formed a strategic partnership with Sotheby’s, uniting the two companies for the full calendar of future automobile auctions. For further information, visit rmsothebys.com.
Source: RM Sotheby’s