PALM BEACH SALE TRANSITIONS TO TIME-BASED ONLINE ONLY
AUCTION WITH MORE THAN 225 CARS
OPEN FOR BIDDING 20 MARCH ON RMSOTHEBYS.COM
- RM Sotheby’s shifts live South Florida auction at Palm Beach International Raceway to Online Only auction
- ‘Online Only: The Palm Beach Auction’ set to feature more than 225 diverse collector cars and a selection of memorabilia
- 2017 Ferrari LaFerrari Aperta now leads the time-based online auction, alongside previously announced McLaren Senna, Porsche Carrera GT, and more
- Bidding opens at 11:00am ET on Friday, 20 March and lot closure begins at 11:00am ET on 25 March through 27 March
- Additional information and bidder registration available at rmsothebys.com
BLENHEIM, ONTARIO, CANADA – March 17, 2020 – (Motor Sports NewsWire) – RM Sotheby’s is pleased to announce the latest details for Online Only: The Palm Beach Auction, a time-based online auction, set to open for bidding at 11:00 am ET on Friday, 20 March with staggered closure on lots to begin at 11:00am ET on 25 March, running through 27 March. This announcement follows the auction house’s recent decision to cancel its live South Florida sale, set for 20-21 March at the Palm Beach International Raceway, and transition it into an Online Only auction in light of the global COVID-19 outbreak. The sale will offer more than 225 diverse collector cars, as well as a selection of memorabilia on rmsothebys.com, with entries led by a magnificent, 2017 Ferrari LaFerrari Aperta.
Unveiled at the 2013 Geneva Motor Show, the LaFerrari was fitted with both a 6.2-liter V-12 engine and a 120 kw electric motor, offering Formula 1 hybrid technology and resulting in a thrilling total output of 950 bhp. As limited as the LaFerrari was, Ferrari’s most important clients were in for an even more exciting open version, the Aperta. Now the most sought-after hypercar in existence, the LaFerrari Aperta embodies every aspect of the company and its founder, Enzo Ferrari. Putting the company firmly at the forefront of automotive technology thus far in the 21st century, the LaFerrari Aperta combines lessons learned from Formula 1, Corse Clienti, and Ferrari’s road-going supercars of the past. Offered to clients who already owned a LaFerrari, only 210 examples were built, with all pre-sold before its debut at the 2016 Paris Auto Show.
Delivered new to an American Ferrari collector, this LaFerrari Aperta was attractively ordered with optional Giallo Triplo Strato paint with complementary yellow accents throughout the black interior. The hypercar left the factory featuring a host of desirable extras, including exterior carbon fiber trim, yellow brake calipers, sport exhaust pipes, racing stripe, 20” forged black wheels, large seat cushions, and the Ferrari horse stitched on the headrests. The optional suspension lift raises the front of the Aperta at the push of a button to prevent the nose from scraping, making it more practical on city streets. Today the Aperta shows approximately 175 miles on the odometer.
The LaFerrari Aperta is without question the ultimate Ferrari road car of this century, and from the moment of its inception, it has been considered a must-have in any world-class collection of Ferraris. More than three years since the Aperta’s debut, they are still nearly impossible to secure, making the opportunity to acquire the stunning example on offer in RM Sotheby’s Online Only one not be missed (Est. $4,500,000 – $5,500,000).
Previously set for RM Auctions’ South Florida sale, additional motor car highlights now confirmed for Online Only: The Palm Beach Auction include:
- An as-new 2019 McLaren Senna, no. 146 of 500 examples produced, boasting a host of desirable options, fitted with a factory-modified 789-hp 4.0 liter twin turbocharged V-8 engine and showing just 200 miles from new (Est. $950,000 – $1,200,000);
- A 2005 Porsche Carrera GT, equipped with a 5.7-liter V-10 engine, one of 1,270 produced worldwide, offered from just two Californian owners since new and wearing stunning GT Silver Metallic finish (Est. $650,000 – $720,000);
- A 2001 Ferrari 550 Barchetta Pininfarina, one of 448 produced, equipped with a 5.5-liter V-12 engine and finished in desirable Rosso Corsa (Est. $360,000 – $400,000);
- A 1983 Lamborghini Countach LP 5000S by Bertone, offered from single-family ownership for the past 21 years, one of just 321 produced between 1982 and 1985 and presented in striking black finish over tan interior (Est. $250,000 – $300,000);
- An as-new, delivery-mileage 2018 Porsche 911 GT3, the stunning 500-hp 991.2-generation model built as a homage to Porsche’s competition heritage, presented in special option Graphite Blue Metallic finish (Est. $180,000 – $200,000);
- A largely original 1971 Mercedes-Benz 280 SE 3.5 Cabriolet, equipped with a rebuilt 3.5-liter M116 V-8 engine and a rare limited-slip rear differential (Est. $275,000 – $325,000);
- A 1967 Chevrolet Corvette Sting Ray 427/435 Convertible, having underwent a comprehensive frame-off restoration in 2016, following 40 years in storage (Est. $200,000 – $250,000);
- A 2005 Ferrari F430 presented in excellent condition, equipped with the desirable six-speed manual transmission, and offered with its original owner’s manual, took kit, pump, and jack (Est. $180,000 – $200,000).
The complete Online Only: The Palm Beach Auction motor car and memorabilia offering will be available on rmsothebys.com in the coming days. Each car offered in the Online Only auction will be presented with comprehensive photography and condition reports. Where available, additional information on each lot, such as history files, production certificates, restoration documentation, service invoices, owners’ manuals, and accompanying parts, can be viewed online by clicking the ‘View Files’ button on the individual lot page.
Bidder registration is now open for Online Only: The Palm Beach Auction and requires very simple steps to complete. RM Sotheby’s Client Service team is ready to assist interested bidders with any part of the account creation or registration process. Additional information on “How Bidding Works” will appear on each lot page once the lot is live and when clients are logged in as registered bidders.
FOR MORE NEWS FROM RM SOTHEBY’S: #RMSothebys #RMAuctions #RMPalmBeach #RMOnlineOnly
About RM Sotheby’s
RM Sotheby’s is the world’s largest collector car auction house by total sales. With 40 years of proven results in the collector car industry, RM’s vertically integrated range of services, from auctions and private sales to estate planning and financial services, coupled with an expert team of car specialists and an international footprint, provide an unsurpassed level of service to the global collector car market. RM Sotheby’s is currently responsible for six of the top ten most valuable motor cars ever sold at auction. In February 2015, RM formed a strategic partnership with Sotheby’s, uniting the two companies for the full calendar of future automobile auctions. For further information, visit rmsothebys.com.
Source: RM Sotheby’s