WOODCLIFF LAKE, November 25, 2019 – (Motor Sports NewsWire) – The new BMW S 1000 XR made its world debut at the EICMA 2019. This latest edition of the best-selling Adventure Sport bike, now radically lighter and more agile, delivers an unprecedented combination of long-distance performance and sports capabilities. With a completely newly developed engine and suspension and a DIN unladen weight of 498 lbs – 22 lbs lighter than its predecessor when adjusted for equipment – the S 1000 XR opens up a whole new dimension in the Adventure Sport segment. The new S 1000 XR advances the sport-to-touring range in its own distinctive new way, leaving nothing to be desired – especially given these standard features on board: Dynamic ESA, Ride Modes Pro, ABS Pro & Dynamic Traction Control (DTC), Hill Start Control Pro, a perfectly readable 6.5” TFT screen complete with connectivity, and full LED lighting.
Newly developed engine, weighing 11 lbs less and based on the S 1000 RR, with adapted gear ratios, further increased mid-range power and engine drag torque control (MSR).
The newly developed in-line 4-cylinder engine is based on the S 1000 RR engine and delivers 165 hp at 11,000 rpm. The maximum torque of 84 lb-ft is available at 9,250 rpm. Based on a particularly linear torque curve, it was possible to make the engine speed range broader, more fulsome and more harmonious to enhance rideability. The 4th, 5th and 6th gear now have longer ratios to reduce noise, fuel consumption and engine speed level, especially at country road speeds. In addition to a smoother and self-reinforcing anti-hopping clutch, the new S 1000 XR also features engine drag torque control (MSR) for the first time. Electronically controlled, the MSR prevents the rear wheel from slipping as a result of abrupt throttling or downshifting.
Completely new, lighter suspension with directly articulated suspension strut and Dynamic ESA/Dynamic ESA Pro.
Just like the sum of its parts, the suspension has been slimmed down considerably. The frame and swing arm are now 4 lbs lighter; while the engine has a much more pronounced load-bearing function than its predecessor. The new double-sided swing arm reduces unsprung masses by 3 lbs, offering a particularly sensitive response thanks to direct linkage.
The new S 1000 XR already features the latest generation of BMW Motorrad Dynamic ESA (Electronic Suspension Adjustment) as standard. Thanks to the latest valve technology, the versatile Adventure sport bike provides a particularly dynamic riding experience with a high level of ride comfort. Dynamic ESA Pro is available as an optional extra with two damping modes (Road, Dynamic) and automatic load compensation. For the first time in the S 1000 XR, Dynamic Brake Control (DBC) also supports the rider during braking maneuvers.
Four Ride Modes along with the latest generation of Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) and DTC Wheelie function. ABS Pro with Dynamic Brake Control (DBC) for even greater safety when braking in banking position.
The new S 1000 XR has four standard Ride Modes – “Rain”, “Road”, “Dynamic” and “Dynamic Pro”. The “Dynamic Pro” mode, which can be fully configured for the first time in the S 1000 XR, offers a wide range of setting options. In addition to throttle response, engine brake, ABS control and traction control, wheelie control (including the new “Power Wheelie” setting) can be configured separately for the first time in the new S 1000 XR. While the integral BMW Motorrad ABS systems already provide a very high degree of performance and safety when braking in a straight line, ABS Pro now takes this a step further to offer increased safety when braking in a banking position, as well.
Multi-functional instrument panel with 6.5-inch TFT screen for excellent readability and maximum range of information.
The instrument cluster in the new S 1000 XR has also been completely redeveloped. In addition to offering an extended range of functions and information, the screen is large to optimize visibility in difficult light conditions. It offers tailor-made screen displays for a range of different purposes. The Pure Ride screen has all the information needed for standard road riding, while an additional Core screen enables banking, braking and traction control to be displayed. Another possible screen display provides a vehicle status overview. A practical arrow navigation system with app is included as standard. The TFT display is operated conveniently from the handlebars using the MMC (Motorcycle Multi Controller).
New LED light units and adaptive turning light with Daytime Riding Light in Headlight Pro as a factory option.
All lighting units in the new S 1000 XR draw on the latest LED technology (the US version has no front LED turn indicators). In addition to the turn indicators and the rear light unit, this includes the high-intensity main headlamp with two symmetrically arranged LED units for low beam, high beam and parking light. The new LED headlamp now illuminates the road even more effectively than before. In the factory optional Headlight Pro, the adaptive turning light ensures additional safety when riding at night. Here, the rider benefits from enhanced road illumination when cornering. The optional equipment item Headlight Pro also includes DRL (Daytime Riding Light) for better recognition of the vehicle during the day. LED headlamps are also available as factory options for improved visibility at night and enhanced recognition in road traffic.
Even more refined and more dynamic design with optimized ergonomics and two attractive color schemes.
The new main frame layout, fuel tank flanks and body parts in the seat area provide improved support and knee grip. Refined contact surfaces and a newly defined ergonomic triangle between the handlebar ends, seat surface and footrests provide optimum ergonomics.
The new S 1000 XR underlines its strong character with dynamic proportions, while its design style continues to deploy unique sculptured surfaces. Features from the touring and GS models combine with sporty elements to give the bike a powerful overall appearance, reflecting its wide range of possible uses.
The new S 1000 XR also reflects its unmistakable character in two different color schemes: the refined basic finish in Ice Grey and the highly dynamic finish in Racing Red/White Aluminum, available for an additional charge.
Highlights of the new BMW S 1000 XR:
- 11 lbs lighter, newly developed 4-cylinder in-line engine based on the S 1000 RR with further optimized mid-range power and rideability as well as new transmission gradation for the 4th – 6th gear.
- Superior performance and torque: 165 hp at 11,000 rpm and 84 lb-ft at 9,250 rpm.
- Effort-saving, linear torque curve: even better rideability over the entire speed range.
- Newly developed suspension featuring Flex Frame, with the engine taking on a more pronounced load-bearing function.
- Significantly improved ergonomics due to Flex Frame.
- Dynamic ESA as standard plus Dynamic ESA Pro with two damping modes (Road, Dynamic) and automatic load compensation as factory options.
- New 19% lighter swing arm with directly articulated suspension strut for an even more sensitive response.
- Dynamic brake assistant (DBC) Dynamic Brake Control.
- Weight reduction by 22 lbs to 498 lbs (adjusted for equipment) as compared to the predecessor model.
- New, lighter exhaust system, EU5-compliant.
- New 6-axis sensor cluster.
- Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) as standard.
- DTC Wheelie Function as standard.
- Engine drag torque control (MSR) and engine brake function as standard.
- ABS Pro for increased safety when braking, also in banking position, as standard. Dedicated rain braking mode with flat brake pressure gradient.
- Four Ride Modes “Rain”, “Road”, “Dynamic” and “Dynamic Pro” as standard.
- Hill Start Control Pro as standard.
- HP Shift Assistant Pro for quick up and down shifting without clutch as a factory option.
- Electronic cruise control as a factory option.
- New instrument cluster with 6.5-inch, easy-to-read TFT screen and four screen displays.
- LED light units all around.
- Turn indicators with new “Comfort Indicator” function.
- Adaptive turning light incl. Daytime Riding Light as part of Headlight Pro as a factory option.
- Completely redesigned bodywork for an even more dynamic design style, optimized aerodynamics and enhanced wind and weather protection.
- Two color schemes for the market launch: Ice Grey and Racing Red/White Aluminum (additional charge).
- Extension of the range of Original BMW Motorrad Accessories and factory options.
- Case holder (decoupled) in series production.
“It’s always difficult for a successor model to improve on a multiple test winner like the S 1000 XR. We’ve gone to a great deal of trouble to make changes – both large and small – to ensure the XR is a little better in every way.”
Ralf Mölleken, Project Manager Complete Vehicle
BMW Group In America
BMW of North America, LLC has been present in the United States since 1975. Rolls-Royce Motor Cars NA, LLC began distributing vehicles in 2003. The BMW Group in the United States has grown to include marketing, sales, and financial service organizations for the BMW brand of motor vehicles, including motorcycles, the MINI brand, and Rolls-Royce Motor Cars; Designworks, a strategic design consultancy based in California; technology offices in Silicon Valley and Chicago, and various other operations throughout the country. BMW Manufacturing Co., LLC in South Carolina is the BMW Group global center of competence for BMW X models and manufactures the X3, X4, X5, X6 and X7 Sports Activity Vehicles. The BMW Group sales organization is represented in the U.S. through networks of 348 BMW passenger car and BMW Sports Activity Vehicle centers, 149 BMW motorcycle retailers, 121 MINI passenger car dealers, and 38 Rolls-Royce Motor Car dealers. BMW (US) Holding Corp., the BMW Group’s sales headquarters for North America, is located in Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey.
Information about BMW Motorrad products is available to consumers via the Internet at: www.bmwmotorradusa.com.
Source: BMW of North America, LLC