ATLANTA, GA – September 26, 2016 – (Motor Sports Newswire) –
The world’s most intelligent luxury sedan
Mercedes-Benz is taking a big step into the future with the new E-Class. The tenth-generation of the E-Class sedan delivers stylish highlights with its distinct, emotional design and high-grade interior. The new E-Class also marks the world premiere of numerous technical innovations, enabling enhanced comfort, a new level of safe driving, a new dimension in driver assistance and a new infotainment and control system. A new, optionally available AIR BODY CONTROL air suspension ensures outstanding ride comfort and driving dynamics. The sum total of these innovations makes the E-Class the world’s most intelligent sedan.
“The E-Class is the core of the Mercedes-Benz brand and in the past has repeatedly redefined the standards in the business-class segment. Now it carries this tradition into the future with a wealth of top-class innovations. In addition, it enhances efficiency, safety and comfort, reduces the stress level when driving and intensifies driving pleasure,” said Prof. Dr. Thomas Weber, Member of the Board of Management of Daimler AG, responsible for Group Research and Mercedes-Benz Cars Development.
Powerful, coupe-esque design
The new E-Class is sophisticated, confidently stylish and sporty. Compared with its predecessor, its wheelbase has grown by 2.6 inches (115.7 inches vs. 113.1 inches) and its overall length by 1.7 inches (193.8 inches vs. 192.1 inches). Its design features hallmark Mercedes-Benz sedan proportions. The elongated hood coupled with a coupe-esque roof flowing into a sensual, broad-shouldered tail end creates an exciting silhouette. The powerfully extended vehicle body is characterized by short overhangs, a long wheelbase, large wheels and taut, well- defined flanks displaying a fresh, stylish and dynamic interpretation of the feature line, all of which allows the E-Class to deliver the perfect take on the Mercedes- Benz design philosophy of “Sensual Purity.”
A muscular front end underlines the status to which the business-class sedan aspires, boasting a different look for each design and equipment line. The Luxury version features the classic Mercedes-Benz radiator grille with the star on the hood, while the Sport models are identifiable by the sport radiator grille with a large Mercedes star as its centerpiece. Each of the radiator grille designs lends the E- Class a distinct character, offering a unique degree of diversity that makes each model stand out.
At the rear end, broad shoulders above the rear wheel arches lend the E-Class its unmistakably muscular character. Single-piece taillamps featuring a two-bar design framed by the vehicle body clearly identify the E-Class as a new member of the Mercedes-Benz sedan family. The taillamps provide additional levels of detail with an appearance designers refer to as the “stardust effect.” Making its debut on the new E-Class, this available “stardust effect” is created by innovative reflector technology with a specially configured surface structure for the tail lights.
Next Level Interior Design
The interior of the new E-Class embodies the synthesis of emotion and intelligence, poles that are defined by the Mercedes-Benz design philosophy – distinct forms with a sensual flow to them. The U.S. version of the E300 offers a standard next- generation high-resolution central display, with a wide screen diagonal of 12.3 inches – a first in this segment, and a traditional gauge cluster behind the steering wheel, all integrated into one casing.
The E-Class is optionally available with two 12.3-inch displays and a resolution of 1920 x 720 pixels. These merge visually to form a wide-screen cockpit, thus acting as a central element to emphasize the horizontal bias of the interior design of the new E-Class. As the instrument cluster, this wide-screen cockpit contains a large display with virtual instruments in the direct field of vision of the driver as well as a central display above the center console. A common glass cover results in a modern flat-screen look. The driver can choose between three different styles for the wide-screen instrument cluster: “Classic,” “Sport” and “Progressive.”
Touch-sensitive control buttons (“Touch Control Buttons”) on the steering wheel make their first appearance in a car. Like a smartphone interface, the Touch Control Buttons respond precisely to horizontal and vertical swiping movements, allowing the driver to control the entire infotainment system and instrument cluster without having to take their hands off the steering wheel. In keeping with the motto “hands on the wheel, eyes on the road,” this new control interface minimizes driver distraction.
Further controls for the infotainment system are provided by a touchpad with a controller which can recognize handwriting in the center console and a voice control system, accessible at the push of a button. For systems such as air- conditioning or various driver assistance systems, there are direct-access buttons located on the center stack.
A new, intelligent graphic design with high-resolution animations, together with simplified logic, further enhances this all-new infotainment experience. At the same time, occupants enjoy a spacious interior, which combines elegance and sportiness.
Intelligent material design
High-quality materials define the E-Class’ interior style, including Natural Grain Ash wood, and wood with “flowing lines.” The high-quality look and feel created through meticulous attention to detail and craftsmanship is evident throughout.
Interior materials and colors have been carefully selected, , including several attractive, new color combinations which allow for an even more personalized interior design.
Lighting atmosphere with 64 colors
Interior lighting makes exclusive use of durable, energy-saving LED technology, even throughout the enhanced ambient lighting system. With 64 colors to choose from, the ambient lighting system offers a host of possibilities for personalization, adding touches of light to various trim parts, central display, storage on the center console, handle recesses, door pockets, front and rear footwells, overhead console, and tweeters (if the vehicle is equipped with the Burmester® High-End 3D Sound System).
Seat design: first class
A further highlight of the new E-Class is its seats. Their ergonomic and sculpted form combines Mercedes-Benz’s hallmark suitability for long journeys with a refined, sporty look. Another new feature in this segment is a Warmth and Comfort Package, which includes heated door armrests and center console, heated steering wheel and rapidly-heating front seats.
The rear bench seat in the new E-Class sedan comes with a three-piece backrest with a 40% – 20% – 40% split, making it exceptionally versatile. Integral features of the center armrest include a storage box and two pop-out drink holders.
New engine generation
In the US market at launch, the new E-Class will feature a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder gasoline engine with 241 hp and 273 lb-ft of torque. Further model variants will be added to the range after the market launch.
Nine-speed automatic transmission
All E-Class models available at market launch will be equipped with the new
9G-TRONIC 9-speed automatic transmission as standard equipment. This advanced transmission enables both fast gearshifts and low engine revs while cruising, which provides improvements in both efficiency and interior noise levels.
Suspension – sporty comfort
The suspension on the new E-Class offers agile driving pleasure on twisting roads as well as the highest level of ride comfort in the segment. Two suspension systems with selective damping are available- including a lowered suspension.
DYNAMIC SELECT: A mode for every mood
A DYNAMIC SELECT switch in the cockpit enables the driver to select from four driving modes: “Comfort,” “ECO,” “Sport” and “Sport+.” The additional “Individual” option allows drivers to configure their vehicle to suit their own preferences.
AIR BODY CONTROL air suspension
Alternatively, the new E-Class can be equipped with a multi-chamber air suspension at all corners – the only car in its segment to offer this option. Three chambers of different sizes in the spring struts of the rear axle and two in the spring struts of the front axle make it possible to control, in three stages, how firmly the suspension reacts to the road. In this way, the occupants enjoy a soft base suspension, together with the secure feeling of good handling stability as speed increases.
Furthermore, the highly sensitive and fast-responding AIR BODY CONTROL air suspension features all-round self-leveling for excellent ride comfort even with the vehicle loaded. It automatically controls the ride height depending on the speed and reduces fuel consumption on the freeway by lowering the vehicle. When driving on rough roads, ground clearance can be increased at the push of a button.
The multi-chamber air suspension is supplemented by a continuously operating, electronically controlled damping adjustment system, which automatically adapts the damping on each individual wheel to the current driving situation and road conditions. The system therefore delivers good road roar and tire vibration characteristics, excellent ride comfort and outstanding driving dynamics.
Introducing the AMG 43 Series
Auto enthusiasts the world over instantly recognize the three letters AMG as defining Mercedes-Benz performance. Many also recognize that 2017 marks the 50th anniversary of this performance division, which began as an independent tuner and racer of Mercedes-Benz vehicles. An integral part of the company since 2005, Mercedes-AMG, has been preparing for its 50th year for quite some time. The aptly named “AMG 50” program, begun several years ago, bears substantial fruit with the all-new AMG 43 series of models arriving for 2017.
Positioned between the standard Mercedes-Benz models and the elite “one man, one engine” AMG 63 and AMG 65 vehicles, the eight AMG 43 models will bring the number of Mercedes-AMG vehicles to 34 for 2017. Exclusively powered by an AMG-enhanced 3.0L V6 biturbo, the new series includes the C43 Sedan, Coupe and Cabriolet; E43 sedan (in early 2017); GLC43 and GLC43 Coupe; GLE43 (formerly M-Class) and the SLC43 roadster. (Some of these models had been available in MY2016 as the 450 AMG models.)
First stage of AMG Performance for the E-Class
Mercedes-AMG presents a new member of the E-Class family, the AMG E43 sedan. The E43 Sedan delivers the brand’s hallmark Driving Performance with discrete technology combined with a distinctive design and everyday practicality. New turbochargers and software applications bump power output of the AMG-enhanced 3.0L V6 biturbo engine to 396 hp. The standard AMG Performance 4MATIC® four- wheel drive system in the E43 combines optimal traction with high agility thanks to rear-biased torque distribution with a front-to-rear ratio of 31:69 percent. The AMG-enhanced 9G-TRONIC 9-speed automatic transmission with shorter shift times, AMG Sport Suspension based on AIR BODY CONTROL air suspension and direct steering ratio also deliver driving pleasure in its purest form. The dynamic exterior design and sporty interior underscore the kinship with the AMG family.
Next-generation driver assistance systems
Mercedes-Benz’s new assistance and safety systems take safety, comfort and driver assistance to a new level.
Standard on the new E-Class is PRE-SAFE® Sound. This system is based on a protective human reflex in the inner ear, called the stapedius reflex. PRE-SAFE® Sound emits a short interference signal through the vehicle’s sound system if the risk of a collision is detected. This signal can trigger the natural reflex and thus prepare the occupants’ ears for the expected sound of the accident.
Active Brake Assist, fitted as standard, is able to warn the driver of impending crash situations, provide just the right level of support during emergency braking and, if necessary, also apply the brakes automatically. In addition to slower-moving, stopping or stationary vehicles, it can also detect pedestrians crossing within the area ahead of the vehicle.
Additional standard equipment includes ATTENTION ASSIST® with adjustable sensitivity, which can warn the driver of inattentiveness and drowsiness, and Crosswind Assist, which can assist the driver by substantially mitigating the effects of strong crosswinds to prevent the vehicle from drifting too far off track.
Highlights of the optional Driver Assistance Package Plus that make the E-Class the most intelligent sedan in its class include:
- DRIVE PILOT: This system represents one of many steps Mercedes-Benz is taking on the road to autonomous driving. While on both freeways and country roads, Distance Pilot DISTRONIC® is not only able to automatically maintain the selected distance from the vehicle in front, but, for the first time, it can also follow the traffic in front at speeds of up to 130 mph. This can make life easier for the driver, who no longer needs to operate the brake or accelerator pedal during normal driving and also receives plenty of steering assistance from Steering Pilot – even on moderate bends. Another unique feature of Steering Pilot is that the system can continue to actively intervene by taking account of surrounding vehicles and parallel structures, even if the lines are unclear or nonexistent, as they can be during road construction, even at speeds up to 81 mph. The system therefore makes driving much easier, especially in traffic jams or heavy congestion.
Additional DRIVE PILOT innovations include, for the first time on a Mercedes-Benz, Active Lane-change Assist. This radar-and-camera-based system assists the driver when changing lanes on multi-lane roads and can steer the vehicle into the lane selected by the driver – when overtaking, for example. Once the driver has indicated a turn for at least two seconds, Active Lane-change Assist assists with steering into the adjacent lane if it detects that the lane is unoccupied.
- Active Brake Assist with Cross-Traffic Function: Compared with the standard version, this system has extended speed thresholds with respect to vehicles and pedestrians. Furthermore, it can detect crossing traffic at junctions and, if the driver fails to respond, apply the brakes autonomously. For the first time, it can also detect hazardous situations at the tail end of a traffic jam where there is no room to maneuver and initiate autonomous braking well in advance. Consequently, it is possible to completely avoid accidents at speeds up to 43 mph or substantially reduce the severity of accidents at speeds above this level.
- Evasive Steering Assist: This new system ideally complements the pedestrian detection function of Active Brake Assist. When the driver deliberately or instinctively performs an evasive maneuver in a dangerous situation, this function can assist by adding precisely calculated steering torque to support the movement of the steering wheel. This helps the driver to avoid, for instance, a pedestrian in a controlled manner while subsequently facilitating the straightening-up of the vehicle to allow the situation to be negotiated safely.
- Advanced assistance systems: The intelligent assistance systems in the new Driver Assistance Package Plus also include proven systems that have been further developed in terms of their mode of operation and the sensors they use. Active Lane Keeping Assist can help stop the driver from unintentionally changing lanes, this being done by corrective one-sided application of the brakes, including in the case of broken lines. Active Blind Spot Assist can now also warn of the risk of a lateral collision in typical urban traffic at low speeds. PRE-SAFE® PLUS can also protect against collisions with traffic following behind, reducing whiplash and other adverse effects on the occupants.
The range of new features in the new E-Class also includes:
- Remote Parking Pilot: For the first time, this system allows the vehicle to be moved into and out of garages and parking spaces remotely using a smartphone app, enabling the occupants to get into and out of the car easily, even if space is very tight. Remote Parking Pilot will be available in the US in a later model year.
- Car-to-X communication: The MY2017 E-Class will have the world’s first fully integral Car-to-X solution going into series production. The exchange of information with other vehicles further ahead on the road, for example, can effectively allow the driver to “see around corners” or “through obstacles” well in advance. This means that the driver receives an earlier warning than previously in the event of imminent danger, such as a broken- down vehicle at the edge of the road or also in the event of heavy rain or black ice on the road ahead. In this case, the new E-Class simultaneously acts as a receiver and a transmitter, since warning messages are conveyed automatically by evaluating vehicle status or manually by the driver to the backend.
- PRE-SAFE® Impulse Side: This system is part of the Driving Assistance Package PLUS. If a lateral collision has been detected and is imminent, it preventively moves the driver or front passenger away from the danger zone to the side. To do this, the system inflates an air chamber in the side bolster of the front seat backrest nearest the side of the imminent impact in a fraction of a second, thus increasing the distance between occupant and door while, at the same time, reducing the forces acting on the occupants.
Three-dimensional listening pleasure
Fitted as standard, the Mercedes-Benz Frontbass® system in the new E-Class delivers a unique listening experience, utilizing space in the cross-member and side member of the body structure as a resonance chamber for the bass speakers. The E-Class is optionally available with two Burmester® sound systems, including the top-of-the-line Burmester® High-End 3D Sound System. If the vehicle is equipped this 23-speaker sound system, the occupants are treated to a listening experience reminiscent of the acoustics in a concert hall, as it includes a third dimension of sound courtesy of roof speakers.
Robust yet lightweight bodyshell
An outstandingly stiff body forms the basis for exceptional handling, astonishingly low noise and vibration levels and a high level of crash safety. To achieve this, the engineers opted for a bodyshell with a far higher proportion of aluminum and ultra- high-strength steel components than its predecessor. The front fenders, hood, trunklid and large sections of the front and rear ends are made of sheet or cast aluminum. This lightweight design reduces fuel consumption while making for perceptibly sporty and agile vehicle handling.
Against the wind
Aerodynamic performance is one of the main reasons behind the outstanding efficiency of the new E-Class. To achieve this, the aerodynamics experts had to optimize numerous details and implement new ideas. The sophisticated aerodynamics also minimize wind noise while making sure that the new E-Class is quieter than many luxury-class models.
The 2017 Mercedes-Benz E-Class went on sale at US dealers in June, 2016.
Source: Mercedes-Benz USA