WOODCLIFF LAKE, NJ – September 1, 2016 – (Motor Sports Newswire) – Sales of BMW brand vehicles decreased 8.0 percent in August for a total of 25,531 compared to 27,755 vehicles sold in August, 2015. Year-to-date, the BMW brand is down 8.3 percent in the U.S. on sales of 204,744 vehicles compared to 223,348 sold in the first eight months of 2015.
- BMW brand sales decrease 8.0 percent
- MINI brand sales decrease 2.7 percent
Notable vehicle sales in August include the BMW 7 Series which increased to 1,230 cars, the BMW X3 which increased to 4,668 vehicles, and the BMW X5 which increased to 4,121 vehicles.
“The clear trend toward Sports Activity Vehicles took a good-sized leap forward in August, as our U.S. plant again increased production and availability of the always popular BMW X3 and X5 pushing total X model sales to 44% of BMW retail in the U.S. in August,” said Ludwig Willisch, President and CEO, BMW of North America. “With the production increase, I fully expect the key SAV numbers to remain strong in the U.S. through the end of the year.”
BMW Group Sales
In total, the BMW Group in the U.S. (BMW and MINI combined) reported August sales of 30,500 vehicles, a decrease of 7.2 percent from the 32,864 vehicles sold in the same month a year ago. Year-to-date, BMW Group sales are down 9.2 percent on sales of 239,631 vehicles in the first eight months of 2016 compared to 263,908 in the same period in 2015.
MINI Brand Sales
For August, MINI USA reported 4,969 automobiles sold, a decrease of 2.7 percent from the 5,109 sold in the same month a year ago. Year-to-date, MINI USA reported a total of 34,887 automobiles sold, a decrease of 14.0 percent from 40,560 automobiles sold in the first eight months of 2015.
Table 1: New Vehicle Sales BMW of North America, LLC, August 2016
|%||YTD Aug. 2016||YTD Aug.
|BMW passenger cars||15,730||21,929||-28.3||140,605||158,833||-11.5|
|BMW light trucks
BMW Pre-Owned Vehicles
- August 2016 sales of BMW Certified Pre-Owned set a record with 11,959 vehicles, an increase of 19.3 percent from August 2015.
- Total BMW Pre-Owned sales also set a record with 24,420 vehicles, an increase of 54.9 percent from August 2015.
- The Total BMW Pre-Owned cars sold year-to-date were 145,926, a 17.5 percent increase from the first eight months of 2015.
MINI Pre-Owned Vehicles
- In August, sales of MINI Certified Pre-Owned set a record with 1,267 vehicles, an increase of 11.7 percent from August 2015.
- Total MINI Pre-Owned sales also set a record with 2,773 vehicles in August 2016, an increase of 2.9 percent from August 2015.
- Total MINI Pre-Owned sales year-to-date were 19,069, a 4.8 percent increase from the first eight months of 2015.
BMW Group In America
BMW of North America, LLC has been present in the United States since 1975. Rolls-Royce Motor Cars NA, LLC began distributing vehicles in 2003. The BMW Group in the United States has grown to include marketing, sales, and financial service organizations for the BMW brand of motor vehicles, including motorcycles, the MINI brand, and the Rolls-Royce brand of Motor Cars; Designworks, a strategic design consultancy based in California; a technology office in Silicon Valley and various other operations throughout the country. BMW Manufacturing Co., LLC in South Carolina is part of BMW Group’s global manufacturing network and is the exclusive manufacturing plant for all X5 and X3 Sports Activity Vehicles and X6 and X4 Sports Activity Coupes. The BMW Group sales organization is represented in the U.S. through networks of 341 BMW passenger car and BMW Sports Activity Vehicle centers, 153 BMW motorcycle retailers, 126 MINI passenger car dealers, and 36 Rolls-Royce Motor Car dealers. BMW (US) Holding Corp., the BMW Group’s sales headquarters for North America, is located in Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey.
Source: BMW of North America, LLC