TORRANCE, CA – May 11, 2016 – (Motor Sports Newswire)
- Honda is the most successful carmaker in Indy 500 wins, starts, and laps completed
- Honda also leads with 12 IndyCar Manufacturers’ Championships
As Honda Racing heads into a historic month of May and the 100th running of the Indianapolis 500 on May 29, the automaker is commemorating its history and success in both the Indy 500 and in the Verizon IndyCar Series.
Indy “500” officials prepare to test ride fleet of Hondas used as “official field vehicles”
Honda is the most successful carmaker of all-time at the Indy 500, winning more races, having more starts and completing more laps than any other carmaker in the 99 previous editions of the event. Since 1994, Honda has taken part in 15 Indianapolis 500 races, powering 10 race winners at The Brickyard.
During 23 years of uninterrupted IndyCar competition, Honda has won 12 manufacturers’ championships, with Honda-powered drivers winning 217 races and 15 series championships – unmatched by any other automaker since Honda entered the series in 1994.
“We’re honored to be part of the Indianapolis 500 for the historic 100th running of the race, and proud of what Honda power has contributed to this great American open-wheel racing tradition,” said Art St. Cyr, President of Honda Performance Development. “Honda’s racing spirit runs deep, and the passion we bring to the track and commitment to innovation and continuous improvement touches all aspects of our company and its products.”
Honda Power plays key role in rich history of Indy 500
Honda’s IndyCar Racing Highlights:
- Long before Honda power took to the Brickyard, Honda motorcycles were the “official field vehicles” for the 1965 Indianapolis 500, both for race officials and for the Firestone and Goodyear race teams.
- After careful thought and preparation, Honda entered IndyCar in 1994, and is the most successful carmaker of all-time at the Indy 500. During Indy 500 competition:
- Honda has won more Indianapolis 500 races than any automaker: 10 wins
- Honda has had more starts at the Indianapolis 500, leading all other automakers: 301 starts
- Honda has completed more race laps at the Indianapolis 500 than any other carmaker: 50,019 laps completed
- Honda has competed in 15 Indianapolis 500 races.
- Honda has powered 10 drivers to the Borg Warner trophy, emblematic of the Indianapolis 500 championship.
- Since 1994, Honda has scored 12 Manufacturers’ Championships and drivers have won 217 races and 15 series championships with Honda power.
- No other automaker has been able to achieve Honda’s record number of wins and titles since Honda entered the IndyCar series in 1994.
For more information on Honda Racing and Honda and IndyCar, visit: http://hpd.honda.com/
Honda offers a full line of reliable, fuel-efficient and fun-to-drive vehicles with advanced safety technologies sold through approximately 1,000 independent U.S. Honda dealers. The Honda lineup includes the Fit, Civic and Accord passenger cars, along with the HR-V, CR-V and Pilot sport/utility vehicles, the soon-to-be-launched Ridgeline pickup and the Odyssey minivan.
Honda has been producing automobiles in America for 33 years and currently operates 18 major manufacturing facilities in North America. In 2015, more than 99 percent of all Honda vehicles sold in the U.S. were made in North America, using domestic and globally sourced parts.