Tim Fuller wins Super DIRTcar Series DIRTcar Nationals opener
BARBERVILLE, FL – February 18, 2016 – (Motor Sports Newswire) – Scott Bloomquist was the class of the field Wednesday night at DIRTcar Nationals as he rebounded from bad luck the previous night to score the Swamp King Championship.
Bloomquist, who suffered an engine failure the night before, set the night’s overall quick time during qualifying and started the feature in the fourth position. He quickly charged to the second position and after a caution on lap six battled past Dale McDowell for the lead.
Jonathan Davenport charged late for the lead in the 40-lap feature but was not able to get around Bloomquist.
“[The car] was really good,” Bloomquist said. “I see we have some things to do to help ourselves in traffic – it took a while for heat to get in the front tires so I’m going to work on that.”
Tim Fuller battled Billy Dunn in the Super DIRTcar Series Big-Block Modifieds opener at Volusia, scoring the first series win of 2016.
Fuller, who started the feature in third, battled to the lead by lap five. Dunn, who spent much of the night in second, battled after a mid-race caution and closed in on Fuller. After a side-by-side battle, Dunn moved to the high line and pulled away.
“He scared me there in three and four – he got beside of me once,” Fuller said of Dunn. “Then I figured he went back to the top, the top has been so dominant here. I figured if he was going to get by me on the bottom he was going to be the dominant car. I got up there on the top, everybody went to the bottom, so I started running the top and it worked out.”
Nightly doubleheaders at Volusia run through Saturday, Feb. 20. The World of Outlaws Craftsman® Late Model Series makes its DIRTcar Nationals debut Thursday night as the Super DIRTcar Series Big-Block Modifieds takes on its night two.
DIRTcar Nationals Statistical Report; Feb. 17, 2016; Volusia Speedway Park; Barberville, Fla.
DIRTcar Late Models A-Feature (40 Laps)
1. 0-Scott Bloomquist [$10,000], 2. 6-Jonathan Davenport, 3. 17M-Dale McDowell, 4. 1-Josh Richards, 5. 20-Rodney Sanders, 6. 25-Shane Clanton, 7. 7-Rick Eckert, 8. 15L-Darrell Lanigan, 9. 777-Jared Landers, 10. C9-Steve Casebolt, 11. 16T-Tyler Bruening, 12. 99j-Frank Heckenast Jr, 13. 5-Don O’Neal, 14. 3s-Brian Shirley, 15. 21J-Billy Moyer Jr, 16. 72-Mike Norris, 17. 76-Brandon Overton, 18. 15s-Donny Schatz, 19. 1*-Chub Frank, 20. 25F-Jason Feger, 21. 28E-Dennis Erb Jr, 22. 22-Gregg Satterlee, 23. 79-Nick Kurtz, 24. 11-Austin Smith, 25. 14M-Morgan Bagley, 26. 39-Tim McCreadie, 27. 16H-Mike Hammerle, 28. 5w-Mark Whitener
Super DIRTcar Series Big-Block Modifieds A-Feature (30 Laps)
1. 19-Tim Fuller [$2,000], 2. 49-Billy Dunn, 3. 1-Billy Pauch, 4. 99L-Larry Wight, 5. 9s-Matt Sheppard, 6. 44-Stewart Freisen, 7. 32c-Vic Coffey, 8. 20-Brett Hearn, 9. 25R-Erick Rudolph, 10. 21a-Pete Britten, 11. 74-J.R Heffner, 12. 27J-Danny Johnson , 13. 54-Steve Bernard, 14. 7-Rick Laubach, 15. 14J-Alan Johnson, 16. 83-Brian Swartzlander, 17. 7-Tim Kerr, 18. 6m-Mat Williamson, 19. 323-Neal Williams, 20. 1G-Darwin Green, 21. 85-H.J. Bunting, 22. 30-Jamie Mills, 23. 5-Billy VanInwegen, 24. 5*-Tyler Siri, 25. 28p-Eldon Payne, 26. 1T-Tyler Dippel
DIRTcar Nationals Day-by-Day Schedule (Grandstands open at 5 p.m.)
- Thursday, Feb. 18 – World of Outlaws Craftsman Late Model Series & Super DIRTcar Series
- Friday, Feb. 19 – World of Outlaws Craftsman Late Model Series & Super DIRTcar Series
- Saturday, Feb. 20 – World of Outlaws Craftsman Late Model Series & Super DIRTcar Series
The 2016 DIRTcar Nationals is supported by Budweiser, Daytona Harley-Davidson, Hampton Inn-Palm Coast, Integrity Painting with Valspar, Ring Power CAT, and Safety-Kleen. The World of Outlaws are brought to fans by official partners: Bad Boy Buggies (Official Side-by-Side Vehicle), The Kenny Wallace Dirt Racing Experience (Official Racing Experience), Hoosier Racing Tires (Official Racing Tires), Morton Buildings (Official Building), and VP Racing Fuel (Official Racing Fuel). Additional support is provided by Arizona Sport Shirts (Official Apparel Company of WoO Late Model), DirtonDirt.com (WoO Late Model Hard Charger Award), and Chevrolet Performance. Contingency sponsors include: ASI, Beyea Headers, Bicknell Racing Products, Bilstein Shocks, Cometic Gasket, Comp Cams, Edelbrock, Fox Shocks, JE Pistons, JRI Shocks, KSE Racing Products, Mobil 1, MSD Performance, Penske Racing Shocks, Ohlins Shocks, QA1, QuarterMaster, Sweet Manufacturing, Superflow Dynos and Wrisco Aluminum Manufacturer sponsors include: Capital Race Cars, Impact Racing Products, Intercomp, Motorsports Safety Systems, Racing Electronics, Rocket Chassis, S&S Volvo, and TNT Rescue.