Anderson Uses Patented Last-Lap Move to Win Third 250SX Class Race of the Season
OAKLAND, CA – January 26, 2014 – (Motor Sports Newswire) – Monster Energy Kawasaki’s Ryan Villopoto won his second Monster Energy AMA Supercross, an FIM World Championship, race in front of 47,339 fans at O.co Coliseum. Rockstar Energy Racing’s Jason Anderson captured his third win in four races in tonight’s Western Regional 250SX Class Main Event.
Factory Metal Works/Honda’s Vince Friese led the field of 450SX Class riders through turn one to win the Nuclear Cowboyz® Holeshot Award with Toyota/Yamaha/JGRMX’s Justin Brayton on his back wheel. On the opening lap, Villopoto and Discount Tire Racing/TwoTwoMotorsports’ Chad Reed took over the number one and two positions respectively.
Yoshimura Suzuki’s James Stewart started a charge on Lap 4 to take over fourth place, and on Lap 7, he secured third place. Stewart made one last pass on Reed for second place, where he would finish just 4.2 seconds behind Villopoto. Reed finished third.
“The track was really one-lined tonight,” said Stewart. “I had to take some chances out there to move through the field.”
“It feels good to be up here tonight,” said Villopoto from the podium. “We have put in a lot of work at the test track, and I have a great team behind me and a great bike under me. I hope I can carry this momentum into Anaheim next weekend.”
Villopoto moved into the points lead and Reed moved into second place, seven points behind Villopoto.
Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki’s Dean Wilson edged out his teammate Justin Hill for the Nuclear Cowboyz Holeshot Award in the Western Regional 250SX Class Main Event. Hill quickly moved into the lead and by the end of the opening lap, Anderson moved into second place with Wilson assuming third place.
Hill and Anderson traded places on lap six, and while the two jockeyed for position in a corner, Wilson passed Anderson for second place and a few turns later, he passed Hill for the lead. Anderson tracked down Hill on the following lap to moved into second place.
Anderson – for the third time this season – made a pass on the last lap to move into the lead and eventual win. Wilson finished a season-best second place and Hill finished a career-best third place.
“I have been working very hard, and everything was coming together tonight, but my bike stalled,” said Wilson. “I have always had the speed, but I have yet to put it together.”
“I can’t believe I keep pulling these off; three wins in four races is huge,” said Anderson. “I hope to come away with the number-one plate at the end of the season. I wanted to be in attack mode tonight, but I also wanted to keep it on two wheels.”
Troy Lee Designs/Lucas Oil/Honda’s Cole Seeley came into tonight race with the points lead but dropped to second place as Anderson now moved into the number-one position in season standings and has a six-point lead.
Monster Energy Supercross heads to Anaheim next Saturday, February 1 for the third and final race at Angel Stadium.
250SX Class Results: Oakland
- Jason Anderson, Rio Rancho, N.M., KTM
- Dean Wilson, Wesley Chapel, Fla., Kawasaki
- Justin Hill, Yoncalla, Ore., Kawasaki
- Cole Seely, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Honda
- Zach Osborne, Chesterfield, S.C., Honda
- Michael Leib, Menifee, Calif., Honda
- Jessy Nelson, Paso Robles, Calif., Honda
- Shane McElrath, Chesterfield, S.C., Honda
- Cooper Webb, Newport, N.C., Yamaha
- Dean Ferris, Murrieta, Calif., KTM
250SX Class Season Standings
- Jason Anderson, Rio Rancho, N.M., KTM, 93
- Cole Seely, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Honda, 87
- Dean Wilson, Wesley Chapel, Fla., Kawasaki, 72
- Zach Osborne, Chesterfield, S.C., Honda, 69
- Cooper Webb, Newport, N.C., Yamaha, 65
- Justin Hill, Yoncalla, Ore., Kawasaki, 64
- Malcolm Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Honda, 54
- Jessy Nelson, Paso Robles, Calif., Honda, 49
- Shane McElrath, Chesterfield, S.C., Honda, 42
- Dean Ferris, Murrieta, Calif., KTM, 42
450SX Class Results: Oakland
- Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki
- James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Suzuki
- Chad Reed, Dade City, Fla., Kawasaki
- Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., KTM
- Justin Brayton, Cornelius, N.C., Yamaha
- Ken Roczen, Murrieta, Calif., KTM
- Justin Barcia, Pinetta, Fla., Honda
- Wil Hahn, Menifee, Calif., Honda
- Jake Weimer, Rupert, Idaho, Kawasaki
- Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, KTM
450SX Class Season Standings
- Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki, 84
- Chad Reed, Dade City, Fla., Kawasaki, 77
- Ken Roczen, Murrieta, Calif., KTM, 75
- Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., KTM, 75
- Justin Brayton, Cornelius, N.C., Yamaha, 71
- James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Suzuki, 66
- Justin Barcia, Pinetta, Fla., Honda, 56
- Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, KTM, 49
- Wil Hahn, Menifee, Calif., Honda, 43
- Jake Weimer, Rupert, Idaho, Kawasaki, 37
For the first-time ever, the entire Monster Energy Supercross season will air live on FOX Sports. FOX Sports 1 will air 13 races live and FOX Sports 2 will air four races live, in addition to every race re-airing on FOX Sports 2. The live Monster Energy Supercross programming on FOX Sports 1 and FOX Sports 2 also includes live coverage on the authenticated FOX Sports Go app.
For more information on the Monster Energy AMA Supercross, an FIM World Championship, please log on to www.SupercrossOnline.com, the official website of Monster Energy Supercross. To follow Monster Energy Supercross on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, log on to www.facebook.com/supercrossLive www.Twitter.com/supercrosslive and www.instagram.com/SupercrossLive.com. Subscribe to our YouTube Channel at www.youtube.com.SupercrossLive. For all media requests, please contact Denny Hartwig firstname.lastname@example.org or 630-566-6305.
About Feld Motor Sports
Feld Motor Sports, Inc. is the world leader in specialized arena and stadium-based motor sports entertainment. Feld Motor Sports productions include Advance Auto Parts Monster Jam®, Monster Energy Supercross, AMSOIL Arenacross and Nuclear Cowboyz®. Feld Motor Sports is a division of Feld Entertainment, the world’s largest producer of live family entertainment. For more information on Feld Entertainment, visit www.feldentertainment.com.