TOKYO, JAPAN – April 13, 2012 – (Motor Sports Newswire) – Honda Motor Co., Ltd. has announced the start of sales in Japan on May 14, 2012, of a new 250-cc on/off-road model, the CRF250L, which offers an agile ride in a wide range of riding environments from urban to off road riding.
Under the slogan, “‘New On & Off Gear, your right buddy on the road’ to make ‘On’ (daily life) more convenient and ‘Off’ (weekends) more enjoyable,” the development team, by pursuing total balance and driving stability to the utmost, created a vehicle that enables a broad spectrum of users from beginners to experienced riders to enjoy the sheer fun of handling the machine.
The CRF250L is powered by a liquid-cooled 250-cc 4-stroke DOHC single-cylinder engine with powerful output in the low-to-mid rpm range. Low-friction technologies including an offset cylinder are also employed to realize the excellent fuel efficiency of 44.3 km/L (measured at a constant speed of 60 km/h on a level road).
A newly-designed frame makes use of the steel twin-tube structure to offer the rider a nimble ride while ensuring both agility and stability. In addition, an agile, high-performance run-through ability in a wide range of situations from urban riding to off road is realized through the adoption of an inverted suspension with a 250-mm cushion stroke for the front and the Pro-Link suspension with 240 mm of axle travel for the rear.
Styling has been refined to be sharper and more aggressive while inheriting the basic concept of Honda’s CRF motocrosser series, resulting in a design that asserts a Honda identity fitting for a new-era CRF. Customers are offered a choice of two color schemes: Extreme Red to present an aggressive image or Ross White for those who wish to impart a cool image.
Main Features of the CRF250L
- The engine aims for powerful output that can be handled with equal ease on on-road and off-road. While achieving powerful torque from the low rpm range to high, the CRF250L’s engine also boasts output characteristics expressing the smooth rev-up that typifies a liquid-cooled 4-stroke DOHC engine. The Programmed Fuel Injection System (PGM-FI*), the O2 sensor, catalyzer fitted inside the muffler, and the newly applied low-friction technologies embedded in such components as the offset cylinder and the roller rocker arm all form a synergy that delivers high environmental performance along with excellent fuel efficiency of 44.3 km/L (measured at a constant speed of 60 km/h on a level road).
- * PGM-FI is a registered trademark of Honda.
- The newly-designed frame makes use of a steel twin-tube design to offer a nimble ride while ensuring both agility and stability, and the oval cross-sectional shape of the main pipe helps boost rigidity while enabling a slim vehicle body. The inverted front suspension employs a Separate Function Front Fork having an inner tube diameter of 43 mm and a cushion stroke of 250 mm in a design that secures both light weight and high rigidity to deliver excellent operability and high driving stability. The aluminum monoblock cast swing arm yields high strength and proper rigidity balance and is paired with a Pro-Link rear suspension having 240 mm of axle travel providing the rider with impressive agility and high road-holding capability from urban riding to off road.
- Styling has been refined into a sharper and more aggressive tone while inheriting the concept of “centralized mass with triangular proportions,” a key feature and basic principle of Honda’s CRF motocrosser series. This design asserts a Honda identity befitting the CRF for a new era. A surface encompassing tank shrouds, side covers, and a rear fender has been made flush to project an even sharper image. Meanwhile, the muffler cover and tool box on the left side add accent to the design by forming a shape reminiscent of a side racing number plate. The body comes in one of two colors, Extreme Red featuring a red seat to impose an aggressive image and Ross White with a silver seat to emanate a sense of coolness.
- A headlight visor that enhances a tough and muscular look and a multi-reflector headlight (60/55 W) with superb visibility
- A multifunctional digital meter that incorporates a fuel meter, a clock, and trip/odometer
- Skid plates that prevent mud, flying gravel, and other elements from damaging the engine
- A handle turning angle that extends to 45° on both left and right in a design made for maneuverability
- Cargo hooks in the rear fender section to make loading convenient
- Fuel tank with a capacity of 7.7 liters
|Dimensions (L×W×H) (mm)||2,195×815×1,195|
|Ground clearance (mm)||255|
|Seat height (mm)||875|
|Curb weight (kg)||143|
|Riding capacity (No. of occupants)||2|
|Minimum turning radius (m)||2.3|
|Engine type||MD38E, Liquid-cooled 4-stroke DOHC 4-valve single cylinder|
|Total displacement (cm3)||249|
|Bore × Stroke (mm)||76.0×55.0|
|Maximum output (kW[PS]/rpm)||17/8,500|
|Maximum torque (N･m[kgf･m]/rpm)||22[2.2]/7,000|
|Fuel efficiency (km/L)||44.3
(constant speed of 60 km/h on a level road)
|Fuel supply system||Electronic
< Programmed Fuel Injection System (PGM-FI) >
|Starter type||Self starter|
|Ignition type||Full-transistor battery ignition|
|Lubricating type||Wet sump|
|Fuel tank capacity (L)||7.7|
|Clutch type||Wet multiplate with coil springs|
|Transmission type||Constant mesh 6-speed return|
|Transmission gear ratios||1st||3.333|
|Reduction gear ratio
|Caster angle (°) /Trail (mm)||27°35´/113|
|Tire size||Front||3.00-21 51P|
|Brake type||Front||Hydraulic disc|
|Suspension type||Front||Telescopic (Inverted)|
|Rear||Swing arm (Pro-Link suspension system)|
|Frame type||Semi-double cradle|
- * Manufacturer: Thai Honda Manufacturing Co., Ltd.
Manufacturing country: Thailand
Importer from Thailand: Honda Motor Co., Ltd.