Dean Wilson Ends Eli Tomac’s Three-Race Win Streak and Takes Control of Supercross Lites Class Points Lead Following His Second Victory
SAN DIEGO, CA – February 11, 2012 – (Motor Sports Newswire) – A huge crowd of 58,782 fans welcomed the sixth race of the 2012 Monster Energy AMA Supercross, an FIM World Championship, season at Qualcomm Stadium. Monster Energy Kawasaki’s Ryan Villopoto, of Poulsbo, Wash., won his third race of the season tonight to extend his points lead to six. In the Western Regional Supercross Lites Class, Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki’s Dean Wilson, of Menifee. Calif., won his second race and now controls the points lead as the Western division takes a two-month break.
Yoshimura Suzuki’s Brett Metcalfe grabbed his first Nuclear Cowboyz® Holeshot of the season to start the Supercross Class Main Event with Villopoto and his Monster Energy Kawasaki teammate Jake Weimer in tow. Villopoto took the lead on the second lap while a battle ensued between TwoTwo Motorsports/Bel-Ray/Honda’s Chad Reed, JGRMX’s James Stewart and Red Bull KTM’s Ryan Dungey behind him. On Lap 3, Reed charged through the pack and made a pass on Weimer to assume second place. Shortly after, Weimer lost his position to Metcalfe.
Midway through the race, Stewart passed Metcalfe for third, but went down a few laps later in the whoops and handed over the spot to Dungey. Back in front, Reed and Villopoto were bar to bar, and on lap 18, Reed stole the lead, but was unable to hold it as the duo came up to the white flag. Reed went on to secure second place with Dungey rounding out the podium in third.
“The whoops were treacherous tonight,” said Villopoto. “I knew it was important to be consistent every lap. Battling Reed on the last few laps was exciting and I was able to make a good pass. I’m happy to keep the red plate on my bike and am excited for the Dallas race next week.”
Troy Lee Designs/Lucas Oil/Honda’s Vince Friese opened the Western Regional Supercross Lites Class main Event with the Nuclear Cowboyz Holeshot with Wilson trailing closely through the first turn. Wilson quickly passed Friese and held the lead for the remaining 20 laps. GEICO Honda’s Eli Tomac, of Cortez, Colo., who controlled the points lead heading into the night, started mid-pack and charged his way to third place, however on lap seven, he crashed in the whoops to surrender his podium spot and points lead. With Tomac crashing out, JDR KTM’s Matt Moss moved into third place to secure his squad’s first podium of the season behind Troy Lee Designs/Lucas Oil/Honda’s Cole Seely.
“I’m absolutely ecstatic with the win,” said Wilson. “I knew I needed to run consistent laps out there and get through the whoops as fast as I could all night long. Eli [Tomac] is a tough competitor, so it’s a bit of a surprise to be in the points lead, but I’m going to work my butt off during the break to try and stay there.”
Supercross Class Results: San Diego
- Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki
- Chad Reed, Dade City, Fla., Honda
- Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., KTM
- Brett Metcalfe, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Suzuki
- Josh Hansen, Elbert, Colo., Kawasaki
- Justin Brayton, Murrieta, Calif., Honda
- Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha
- Kyle Chisholm, Valrico, Fla., Kawasaki
- Mike Alessi, Hilliard, Calif., Suzuki
- Nick Wey, DeWitt, Mich., Kawasaki
Supercross Class Season Standings
- Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki – 133
- Chad Reed, Dade City, Fla., Honda – 127
- Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., KTM – 123
- James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Yamaha – 101
- Kevin Windham, Centreville, Miss., Honda – 78
- Brett Metcalfe, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Suzuki – 75
- Jake Weimer, Rupert, Idaho, Kawasaki – 72
- Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha – 70
- Justin Brayton, Murrieta, Calif., Honda – 68
- Josh Hansen, Elbert, Colo., Kawasaki – 64
Western Regional Supercross Lites Class Results: San Diego
- Dean Wilson, Menifee, Calif., Kawasaki
- Cole Seely, Murrieta, Calif., Honda
- Matt Moss, Sussex Inlet, AUS, KTM
- Gareth Swanepoel, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha
- Nico Izzi, Menifee, Calif., Yamaha
- Gavin Faith, Fort Dodge, Iowa., Honda
- Billy Laninovich, Riverside, Calif., Honda
- Travis Baker, Temecula, Calif., Honda
- Vince Friese, Cape Girardeau, Mo., Honda
- Nick Paluzzi, Riverside, Calif., Kawasaki
Western Regional Supercross Lites Class Season Standings
- Dean Wilson, Menifee, Calif., Kawasaki – 116
- Eli Tomac, Cortez, Colo., Honda – 114
- Cole Seely, Murrieta, Calif., Honda – 101
- Marvin Musquin, Murrieta, Calif., KTM – 89
- Nico Izzi, Menifee, Calif., Yamaha – 78
- Matt Moss, Sussex Inlet, NS, KTM – 73
- Zach Osborne, Chesterfield, S.C., Yamaha – 67
- Travis Baker, Temecula, Calif., Honda – 63
- Tyla Rattray, Wildomar, Calif., Kawasaki – 60
- Jason Anderson, Edgewood, N.M., Suzuki – 58
Tune into the enhanced exclusive weekly video content from Supercross LIVE! during the entire 2012 season on SupercrossOnline.com, the Official Website of Monster Energy Supercross.
Weekly Supercross LIVE! Video Content Schedule
The Official Supercross LIVE! Pre-Show – Race Days at 11 AM Local Race Time
Behind the Scenes with Supercross LIVE! – All Day on Race Days
2 Minutes on the Track – Race Days at 3:30 & 5:30 PM Local Race Time
And on the Podium Tonight – Following Each Round’s Main Events
The Official Supercross LIVE! Post-Show – Saturday Nights at Each Round
Toyota Tailgate Talk – Wednesdays at 5 PM ET
After The Checkered Flag – Thursdays at 5PM ET
For more information on the Monster Energy AMA Supercross, an FIM World Championship, please log on to www.SupercrossOnline.com, the official website of Monster Energy Supercross.
For all media requests, please contact Denny Hartwig firstname.lastname@example.org or 630-566-6305. To follow Monster Energy Supercross on Facebook and Twitter, log on to http://www.facebook.com/supercrosslive and http://twitter.com/supercrosslive.
About Feld Motor Sports®
Feld Motor Sports®, Inc. is the world leader in specialized arena and stadium-based motor sports entertainment. Feld Motor Sports, Inc. productions include Advance Auto Parts Monster Jam®, Monster Energy Supercross, AMA Arenacross Series, Nuclear Cowboyz®, and IHRA® Nitro Jam®. Feld Motor Sports, Inc. is a division of Feld Entertainment, the world’s largest producer of live family entertainment. For more information on Feld Entertainment, visit www.feldentertainment.com.