In 2006, different leaders in the ATVing community started discussing the idea of setting up a unified set of rules for competition mud racing that would bring all the competitions from across the nation together in a more organized way. This would mean more validity and national awareness to what had basically been a hobby to most participants in the past. One of the goals of this group was to secure a points system, which would lead to the formation of a National Championship.
In 2007, the Championship Mud Racing Committee was formed, the initial rules and points system was set up, and by the end of the year everything was set for the first season ever of Championship Mud Racing.
2008 was a very successful year for participants in CMR. For a full listing of the CMR Final Standings for the 2008 season, please go to www.championshipmudracing.com/assets/files/CMR%20Final%20Standings.pdf.
The 2009 race season events will only have two competitions: the Swamp Cross and the Kiddie Bog. That does not mean that there will not be any other competitions at these events. It just means that if points are what you are going for, you need to race in the Swamp Cross.
One of the main reasons they made this decision was because of the economy and wanting to make it as easy on the competitors as possible. The Swamp Cross competitions will be held on Saturday afternoons so that racers will not have to take as much time off work. Another reason was for larger payouts for the racers. Instead of the payouts being distributed in a dozen or so different ways that number will be cut in half so each one will be significantly larger.
The 2009 season kicked off the first event at Carolina Adventure World in Winnsboro, SC, on March 13 – 15th. This was the second time a CMR event was held at CAW.
When asked about last year’s CMR event at Carolina Adventure World, Patrick Thiele (the Park Promoter for CAW) responded by saying:
“As for the CMR, last year it was a BIG success. That is how we got the season opener this year. We had over $5K payout last year and are expecting $7K this year. The fun part is there is a class for almost everyone, even the kids get in on the fun–super cute to see a girl on a 90cc pink 4-wheeler getting cheered on by all the adults!
C.A.W. is quickly getting the reputation as the premier “mud boggers’ Paradise” on the east coast. With year-round riding and plenty of low country style swamp areas along the river, we “got mud” year around!”
This first event on this year’s schedule was awesome. The weather left something to be desired for sure, but outside of that, everyone had a great time! Can-Am was there doing free product demonstrations. Monster energy made an appearance late in the evening, also giving out free samples. There was a nice turn out despite the cold wet weather, and the racing was great with a lot of close races and a lot of close calls.
Carolina Adventure World’s circular bog was a great event to watch, and there was nothing like the excitement the kids had in their own Kiddie Bog. Competitors and spectators alike had a lot of fun in the other mud bog as well. We got some great photos and video footage of each event. Be sure to check those out. A special thanks to Nick Woods for his assistance in this.
With 100 miles of trails, several different tracks, night riding both Friday and Saturday nights as well as a 300 feet of Speed Tubing and the convenience of all the on-site amenities offered at Carolina Adventure World, this was a great weekend and a great start to the Championship Mud Racing Season! For more information about Carolina Adventure World, you can go to www.carolinaadventureworld.net.
There is a full line up on the 2009 Racing Schedule for the Championship Mud Racing listed on the CMR Website, www.championship-mudracing.com , as well as results and points standings as they are made official, a nice forum, a pictures page, a way to download the rules and regulations and the latest CMR news.
The racing schedule as it stands now according to the CMR Website is as follows:
2009 Racing Schedule
- March 13-15, – Carolina Adventure World -SC REGISTRATION WILL BE FRIDAY FROM 1 PM UNTIL 6 PM; SATURDAY FROM 8 AM UNTIL 11 AM.
- April 24 – 26 Mud Madness – LA REGISTRATION WILL BE FRIDAY FROM 1 PM UNTIL 6 PM; SATURDAY FROM 8 AM UNTIL 11 AM.
- May 7-10 East Coast Off-Road Par – GA REGISTRATION WILL BE FRIDAY FROM 1 PM UNTIL 6 PM; SATURDAY FROM 8 AM UNTIL 11 AM.
- May 29th – 31st Truck @ Tractor Nationals -IN Please note the Truck and Tractor event will have different starting times and sign up time. Please check the news page for more info on that stop.
June 4-7 Mud Creek – TX REGISTRATION WILL BE FRIDAY FROM 1 PM UNTIL 6 PM; SATURDAY FROM 8 AM UNTIL 11 AM
- July 3 – 5 Red Creek Off-Road Park – MS REGISTRATION WILL BE FRIDAY FROM 1 PM UNTIL 6 PM; SATURDAY FROM 8 AM UNTIL 11 AM
- August 6-9 East Coast Off-Road Park – GA REGISTRATION WILL BE FRIDAY FROM 1 PM UNTIL 6 PM; SATURDAY FROM 8 AM UNTIL 11 AM.
- September 4-7, 2009 – Southern Ridge – AL REGISTRATION WILL BE FRIDAY FROM 1 PM UNTIL 6 PM; SATURDAY FROM 8 AM UNTIL 11 AM.
- October 2- 4 Rocks Bottom – MS – REGISTRATION WILL BE FRIDAY FROM 1 PM TILL 6 PM; SATURDAY FROM 8 AM TILL 11 AM.
- Nov 12-14 Mud Creek – TX REGISTRATION WILL BE FRIDAY FROM 1 PM UNTIL 6 PM; SATURDAY FROM 8 AM UNTIL 11 AM.
We wish a very successful and safe year to all the competitors and fans of the Championship Mud Racing season.